Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Storm forecasters: "Catastrophic" damage possible in Kansas, Missouri
neb
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 19:24

Any cabin owners in the path of this storm?????

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 10:38 - Edited by: trollbridge

Stay safe Martian, Bzzzzt, Rifraf, MJW and any others I missed! Also the many of you in Texas.

Rifraf
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 11:49

Sunny and calm here for now, cabin is 4 hours south. Praying for its roof to still be there when I go back

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 16:12

I'll be hoping for the best Rifraf especially after all the work you just completed...certainly don't want any damage!

Martian
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 18:58

Here in the Flint Hills, its cloudy and really windy, but no rain.........yet. I've been monitoring the storms as they work their way across West central Kansas. It will probably be after 8PM before the storm line gets this far East. I'm hoping for some rain on the garden without any severe weather.

I'm glad I added a stop behind the sliding glass door. In the last round of storms, I was watching the door flex almost 3/8ths of an inch at the center as the 80mph gust hit it. Now there is a 1 1/2"X3 1/2" Sycamore stop running top to bottom with an 1/8" gap between the door and the stop. It may flex, but it shouldn't blow in. If I was building again, I'd put in a 36" door with a seperate glass next to it.

Tom

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 19:15

Just cause they changed the verbage doesn't make us run and hide every time they forecast tornadoes.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 20:13

Everyone, be safe.

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 21:06

But I hope you have your running shoes on just in case Bzzzzzt!!!!!

Looks like I'll get to hear the rain pounding the roof here around bedtime...can't wait...I'm ready for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz now!

Martian
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 22:47

We still haven't had any rain. There was a tornado and 3.5" hail about 15 miles to the West of us. The lightening was really putting on a show! Our next best chance is currently about 75 miles southwest of us, but it may pass to the East.....who knows.

There have been dozens of tornados West of here so far. Currently, there are at least three on the ground. Good thing they don't usually cover too large an area. The biggest one is about 1/2 mile in diameter.

Fun night!

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 22:54

Dorothy and Toto didn't think it was so fun if I recall correctly.....if you find yourself in Oz I hope you enjoy yourself. Oh and don't let those flying monkeys scare you either!

Martian
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 23:13

I've seen the flying monkeys during trips I took in my youth.......I ain't scared of no flying monkeys!

Now pink elephants......that's a different story!

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 23:41

I bet!! LOL!!!

Martian
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 08:45

There was a tornado 10 miles NW and one 15 miles SE, but none right here, thankfully. It rained only 1/2" and no hail. If I had a wind turbine, the batteries would be FULL! At one point, we had straight line winds around 60mph, and steady winds of 40mph. No trees down or any other damage....Thank You, God.

I've ridden out three hurricanes and numerous thunderstorms on sailboats. Its a lot less stressful to have one's home firmly planted.

Tom

neb
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 11:44

I'm glad evryone is fine. I see in OKL. there is 5 dead. Let us know how the cabins stood the storms???

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 12:05

Glad you're still in Kansas Martian.....how 'bout you Bzzzzzzt?????

How's everything over in MO???

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 12:43

hope everyone is ok here.and their cabins.i am sure glad my brother moved from kansas a couple of months ago.

Bevis
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 17:52

hope every one is good to go...

hattie
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 18:22

I hope everyone is safe....Remember to always keep a window of your house open a crack. If your house is sealed up tight, the air pressure from a tornado will cause your house to explode.

Rifraf
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 20:14

all is calm and sunny here in Kansas City, but the weather radar shows the green and some red spots going over my cabin

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 20:22 - Edited by: trollbridge

The radar is red as can be over our cabin (S***!) in Wisconsin but down south at home we are under a tornado watch with nothing happening.

I got enough fear of tornadoes when I lived in Kansas and when we would visit my grandparents in MO. I remember some scary times!

Martian
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 21:57

I don't know about the meteorologist up there, but down here, they point out the "hook" echoes on the radar. That indicates rotating winds, ie, a possible tornado. It makes it easier to see if you have anything to worry about.....except hail and strong winds, anyway.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 22:32

Yep...they point those out here too. We have thunder rumbling out there and a strong line of red steadily moving this way---strong wind gust too. I always feel like the odds of a tornado right in our direct path is slim since one already has taken this path during the 50's...but then again maybe I am completely naive! If that is the case don't tell me cause ignorance is bliss at this point.

I think I spent too much time in grade school practicing tornado drills and then there was the dreadful time we were down in the basement with the sirens blaring and my mom sent me upstairs to quickly grab a clean diaper for my brother. Holy crap I've never seen the sky so green and awful looking! To say I was terrified would be a complete understatement!!!!! Thanks Mom! Turns out a tornado ripped through the neighborhood less than a mile from our home-the destruction was widespread and terrible. I admit it...they scare the dickens out of me!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.