Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / our recent trips
cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Sep 2009 10:02

everyone we started building our cabin in june.it is done now.we have had some experiences n those couple of months that have been scarey and exciting.first-we went to build and there was a skinny wild little cat someone had discarded.well something had shot or attacted its neck and eye.so when hubby went to get our tools out of the old camper...the cat was laying by the door.Well-stupid me.i got a tuna can and fill it with water.it would not eat.it was a creepy cat.well-we were staying at the motel not far from our property at the time.i came back the next day with food.the cat was gone.we could not find it.so i was later clipping alot of the brush away and there is was.in the bushes hiding and like dying.i poured a bit of water on its arm to maybe get it to lick it and maybe get an appetite for water and food.we went to hammering and cutting.the next thing i see it going around and around in circles.one way and then another flopping all over at it circled.i told hubby to go get our neighbor and shoot it.he did.it was sad.i get home and read about rabies.i am sure that cat had rabies.be careful what u approach .it could have reached out and stratched me.well there is 2 kinds of rabies.FURIOUS RABIES AND DUMB RABIES.I THINK THIS ONE HAD THE LATTER.THE JAW IS PARALYZED.SO THEY CAN NOT DRINK WATER.so that over.we went onto our next adventure.falling a tree.the tree roots grow lateral up in our neck of the woods.and the wind blows them over and we have pictures of motorhomes crushed in from trees and/or from heavy snow load..like our old camper.this tree we cut down...ended up being a widow maker.it got stuck in alot of little trees u would never suspect would hold the big old monster tree up.so there it sits.we have to get it down the next time we go back.
then the same day we cut our tree down.we take a nap and we hear some one screaming FIRE FIRE FIRE.I AM LIKE-WHAT DOES HE MEAN FIRE?WELL-THATS WHY they tell us absolutely no outside fires.does this pertain to a campstove?seems we could at least cook outside.i do not know.so we look in the sky not far from our cabin and the sky is filled with smoke.pics enclosed.so come to find out.the fire is under investigation.they do not know if someone was camping and having a campfire illegally or is a meth lab blew up.now who in gods green earth would go out to beautiful nature and do that crap?? so this has been an exciting and wild summer.all we have left to do on our little cabin is a little inside work.we can not burn all the wood on the ground till the first snow.then we can get rid of alot of the piled up wood everywhere.so in our eden is fire safety and lots of it.but what a beautiful land.blue skies and sun all day for so much of the year.where we live now is so green but the rain and grey skies will drive u nuts.PICS ENCLOSED.
FIRE PLANES COMING TO DROP RETARDENT ON THE FIRE
FIRE PLANES COMING TO DROP RETARDENT ON THE FIRE
FIRE
FIRE

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 May 2010 20:21

well it is spring.we went to the cabin in the winter.had to park way down the road and shovel in.Now we are headed out again to see our cabin and how it fared for the winter.well i called our neighbor up there to see how the weather was.He said your cabin is safe but some one camped out and started a campfire in high winds and part of your property is burnt up.we are very upset.
I guess the man was from north carolina and drove to see his empty property he bought.he camped out.there is no fire warnings all over.so our meadow is burnt.well that can be a good thing for a crop,once we get some crops in there.and some of our land.i am so mad.well good ole nature.we will come back with pictures.thank u.cabingal3

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 22:07

we got back and only a bit of our woods was caught on fire.So all is well.here is a picture.
fire
fire

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 10:28

I was wondering to see how badly fires destroy the forest (never seen).
Thanks for the update, cabingal3.

cabingal3
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 10:54

well lets see CabinBuilder...hmm.since we have been going to our woods more than when we first bought the land...we have had the hiway to crater lake closed off cause of fire.Then another time not long after this-a fire in our area.I guess it was some meth lab is what was the report that blew up.Why this would be out in Gods green earth just slays me.U go to the woods and nature to get away from bad stuff like this.it blew up a mobile home.and alot of land got burned up right close to our area.If the wind had been blowing our way-it may of been bad.Then this man came clear from the east coast to his land which is one property away from ours and starts burning ground brush...it catches on fire and burns his and the next property and some of ours.not near our cabin but still scarey.u have to be following the rules they set for us and people from across the country maybe do not see the signs all over.no smoking outside of your car,no chainsaw useage after 1p.m.-things like this.no open fires.well we stayed in our woods last weekend.it was 32 degrees when i woke up.cold.i would have loved and outside fire but nope.when we come into that area...both sides of the forest is all burned up.and when we go over to the area where the one mobile home fire happened...we see alot of cabins that made it thru but all there ground is burnt up.i told the big guy that is depressing to see all these black tree sticks everywhere.and black ground and black soot and everything burned...
i just hope we can all protect our area to newcomers...who do not know how fire is so threatening there.beauitful country.just fire is the 4 letter word.

bugs
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 13:24

Hi Cabingal13

You guys have sure had a busy/exciting time. It must be tough dealing with the "nonlocals" who really can't comprehend why rules are in place and often don't care. Would love to give them a shake or two. Glad you did not receive to much burn but maybe the place will soon be covered in wild flowers/fungi for you to enjoy.

But, putting my biologist hat on, fire is not a bad word. Your treasured trees, forest and plants (and the animals that go along with them) require burning every once in a while to rejuvenate them and enhance seed germination of many trees and other plants (some plants will only grow after a fire or major disturbance). It is a dilemma for forest managers as well as people working on prairies (These ecosystems evolved with fire as part of their existence. In fact they exist because of periodic fires.) as there is no management method that can emulate a fire. (Except maybe controlled burns but that is often not possible and regularly turn into wildfires themselves. Clearing underbrush and selective logging also are not substitutes for burning.) How to keep the forest healthy and vibrant yet protect resorts and cabins.

The longer the interval between fires the more dead fall and litter piles up and when a fire does occur it can be much more intense than if the area was regularly burnt (The California wildfires and Kelowna BC fires are examples.)

So fire is not really a destructive process but more of a constructive revitalizing one. Unfortunately, sometimes people get in the way.

Sorry for the lecture but isn't that why they call a PhD, B*ll Sh*t Piled Higher & Deeper? But we have to realize we are all "guests" in our small cabin corners. I don't think most of us enjoy the "sanitized developed resort experience". We must adapt to what nature throws at us. And isn't that why we are all doing this experience together?

Now that cat story is just plain scary. Glad you survived it. Wake up call for us too. We have a number of skunks poking around our place now..... And the rut season will soon be coming up along with the huntin season. The bush will soon be crazy for awhile.

cabingal3
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 15:45 - Edited by: cabingal3

Dear bugs. thank s for the interesting read and i sure agree. I have been reading a book about pioneer women in Kansas when it was first opened to the settlers.They had alot of fires they had to fight.SO i guess there is nothing new under the sun but i just do not want our cabin getting it...it may! The cool thing is-it cost us so little to build our place. That we can just re-build.Aw heck! if we were scared of everything,everyday-none of us would leave our homes.
Right now the Deschutes national forest is all on fire.Fire happens.We can burn at the first snow.We can have fires alot of the time but not in extreme fire danger and that sure makes sense to me.
thanks as i am looking for part of our meadow to re-grow and be more flush with native plants.also i feel so alive when we travel up to that neck of the woods.Theres so much exciting and always feel a bit of a let down to be back home from our woods.

bugs
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 17:18

Now that was real homesteading. Threats of weather, vermin and bugs to ruin crops and livestock and that was your only real source of food and income. No solar electricity or cell phone security blanket then.

Look forward to seeing pix of your new meadow when it blooms.

Like us methinks you see your real investment is the land and just being out there. The small cabin etc is just sweat equity payment for the pleasure of being out there.

It takes us about 1.5 hours to get to our place. We have about a 15 mile drive on country gravel grid roads once we leave the busy highway to reach our little peace of paradise. Like you, I suspect, certain switches turn off and other switches turn on as we slowly drive along the roads looking at crops in the fields, ditches of wildflowers, birds and even road kills, and waving to the neighbours in the fields, on our way to our driveway.

Once we turn off the road and lock the gate behind us to our driveway we feel the "other" world is so far away. Every rustle or twig breaking we hear means something. Even more so when "hunting" with the cameras. Then there is the deafening silence broken only by the wind blowing through trembling aspen, bird songs, choruses of coyotes or distant livestock or farmers working the fields. Rarely do we hear city type traffic noise.

But of course the opposite occurs when we leave. By the time we are ten minutes through traffic on the highway the civilized stress is back knotting the neck and back.

cabingal3
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 19:09

bugs.u are very smart to have your land so close.i read somewhere...maybe on this forum that u should be 3 hours to your property at the furthest.
ours is 5 hours away.so u are smart as u get to be out there more .we go again in Sept.and then again in Oct.
But the drive...i perk up once we see the terrain change. i perk up even with the thought of heading out.
yes. we both made birdhouses so we can see the wildlife closer.
yes. i am amazed at this pioneer book.it is so horrid that i had to rethink my mind on our woods being the boonies.Actually it is but there is neighbors who let us fill up with water from there well.After reading of droughts ,locust plauge and of snow so deep and everyone bundled up in buffallo skins inside there home...all around the fire to try and stay warm.This story puts the mind in a proper perspective for realizing we have it pretty easy. a Generator,a heater,a cute little homey stove to cook on.soon to have a well.and another cabin house going up that is bigger. we are doing it as we get it.so rewarding.Bugs,do u have power yet?will u be gettting it or staying off the grid?i will look on here and see your place.thanks cabingal3

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.