Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / The friendly possum
Rifraf
# Posted: 23 Oct 2012 17:22 - Edited by: Rifraf

The friendly possum has started visiting my cats around 4am.

My wife had to leave for work super early and we caught him having an early breakfast of cat food with the cats, he and the cats seemed to think this was ok.

Wish I could have got a photo but he had his fill and was gone by the time the wife found her camera.

For the past few weeks we wondered why the cats were eating so much more than before.

Ill have my camera by the front door for awhile, well see if I can get a pic

countryred
# Posted: 23 Oct 2012 19:40

My folks have them on the front porch all the time. They do eat a lot of cat food. Set a live trap or make one with trash can.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Oct 2012 21:56

I'd keep the cat food in at night.

Rifraf
# Posted: 23 Oct 2012 23:00

The food bag is always in, it was munching on the cats food bowl left overs. Stray wilds dont bother me. I grew up in the middle of nowhere , im used to small wild critters everywhere.

I was more interested in its friendly behavior. It was sitting there at the bowl side by side with the two cats. No aggression at all, acting like it was just another cat. If you didnt know better you would of thought it was raised with them.

rayyyy
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 17:14

Please be carfull,they can be very nasty little buggers.Iv'e been bit by a cute little possum befor.They don't always play dead like you have been tought.

Rifraf
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 18:27 - Edited by: Rifraf

Lol,

Thanks rayyy, rest assure I will not be making new friends with this possom, even though I call him friendly. Friendly is a relative term in this case mainly im just happy hes not attacking my cats. They seem to get along ok.

I dont take offense to that warning though, even my wife thinks me a man of poor judgment in this case. The first thing she said when I looked out the door at him, and stated "wow hes sitting there with the cats eating" was...

"Dont try to pet it !! "

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 19:35

Quoting: rayyyy
Iv'e been bit by a cute little possum befor

Yuck, ugly is what they are!!!! LOL!!!

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 20:56

Naaaa, I'll just leave this alone! They are a very dangerous little critter!

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 21:07

This is pretty gross but years ago our pet cat died...and it was winter with not much snow cover so the ground was frozen solid. We thought we had dug an "adequate" grave for the cat but apparently we were wrong! I happened to look out the window just in time to see this ugly little possum pulling the intestines out of the belly of our cat!!!! It's face was all bloody-barf!

Just
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 21:32

A fall opposum makes a nice ladies winter hat , but they don't give up that blonde hide easy , just saying !!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.