Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Hurricane Sandy
trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 12:01

Hey forum friends that may be affected by an angry Sandy, I wish you all the best getting hunkered down-whether at home or cabin!

Sounds like it will be a bit of everything-wind, rain and even snow! Hope it doesn't get too bad. It's pretty late in the season for a hurricane I believe. Anyways, keep the rest of us posted-we'll be thinking about ya

sabiggs
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 12:41

This is one crazy storm...they're talking 10+" inches locally in some areas of New Jersey. I'm in MA and we're looking at maybe 1-3 or 3-6, depending on the storm track. Apparently there's going to be 60+ mph winds 200 miles from the storm so it's going to be huge.

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 16:16

Coming on the eve of Halloween as it is it should be renamed Frankenstorm

neb
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 17:04

I sure hope everyone in it's path will be safe. Yhe damage I'm sure will be bad. I do feel for you people.

rayyy
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 19:36

It's been a steady down poor for the last 24 hours here in WNY.And that is nothing to do with this Sandy.Usually these types of storm beat up the east coast pretty bad,but they say this one is gonna take a left hand turn and head right for me.Hummmm,I wonder if my cabin can float?

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 20:13

Gas up folks, vehicles and generators. Maybe stock some fresh water also. and please....stay safe!
Oh bobrok...Canadian weather is calling it Frankenstorm

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 22:01 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We have a load going to Miami. On the way down here I saw hundreds of utility trucks in hotel parking lots on stand by. We were to go home for a few days but need to stay out because we will be running loads to the disaster zones. Before Issac we ran loads of generators to Home Depot in FL. They were happy to see us because they were out of stock.

GomerPile
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 22:11

Trying to get the roof sheeting and underlayment installed on my build before the storm hits. Got all the rafters on today...hopefully the construction gods shine on me in the morning.

skoottamataschm idty
# Posted: 28 Oct 2012 12:12

Im hunkered down at home in Southwestern Ontario, we won't get it as bad as our Eastern US neighbours but it's still supposed to get nasty. Just hope no trees come down by the cottage in Eastern Ontario

rayyy
# Posted: 28 Oct 2012 18:33

Good luck Gomer,sounds like she's falling apart(sandy that is)She's gonna bring 50 mile an hour winds and drenching rain.Pretty normal weather for us.I got the load of gravel on my driveway just in the nick of time.

Ann
# Posted: 28 Oct 2012 21:44

i secured everything at the cabin today. I hope it will be OK. I'd stay there if I could. I'm at home now with extra food, batteries, water, etc. Jeep is gassed up and ready for work tomorrow. Unfortunately my job does not allow me to stay home with the dog and cat or hunker down at the cabin.

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Oct 2012 10:08

Fingers and toes crossed and many prayers sent....best of luck and stay safe as it moves on shore.

yankeesouth
# Posted: 29 Oct 2012 10:33

My cabin is located in the tip of where they are calling for blizzard conditions and potentially 1-3ft of snow. Could be interesting! Mountains of PA and WV.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 29 Oct 2012 10:46

since my place is remote and off grid i aint woried about power out, since my 40 hour a week job is local storm damage cleanup in summer (crew foreman, logger) i took precauction to cut any hazard trees so nothing can damage my place

worst case scenario for me: i hunker down and play computer games for 3 days, my cistern water supply is refilled, i get more job security and a boost in off season income cleaning up stuff for others

its a good day

bobrok
# Posted: 29 Oct 2012 17:12

I just found this on another forum and thought it would be informative since there are so many of us forum members in the affected area.
As I am writing this Sandy hasn't yet come ashore in southern NJ. I'm near Rochester, NY a good 400 miles from the point of landfall and we have been feeling strong sustained winds for a couple of hours already.
projected path of hurricane
projected path of hurricane

sabiggs
# Posted: 29 Oct 2012 17:55

I'm outside of Boston.....not so much rain but gusty winds (30-50mph). Two monstrous trees uprooted and down in my way back yard where nobody ever goes (luckily). And I'm a few hundred miles from the center. Biggest storm (diameter wise) ever I saw on TV. I can only imagine what's going on in Jersey/ Delaware. Good luck everyone.

Bevis
# Posted: 29 Oct 2012 18:01

Quoting: trollbridge
It's pretty late in the season for a hurricane I believe

Nope, Nov 30th is officaially the last day. We here in Florida are glad to share the storms with others.

trollbridge
# Posted: 30 Oct 2012 12:17 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Bevis
We here in Florida are glad to share the storms with others.

How kind Bevis!

Sounds like quite a disaster out there in so many different ways

I really pray that life can return to normal as soon as possible for those of you directly affected. Stay strong and stay positive in your thoughts-not much else we can do when it comes to Mother Nature... she likes to remind us who's the boss...but that doesn't always mean she wins the battle in the end!!!! The spirit of mankind ultimately determines who the real winner is

trollbridge
# Posted: 30 Oct 2012 21:11

Pretty quiet here...I guess a lack of power will do that. Anybody have an update?

Bevis
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 00:41

Hope every one on the east coast in the north, or in the path has faired well. I know the stress of the storm and then the clean up phase can be brutal.

bobrok
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 08:33

The low is passing right over us as I type this, but the weather is calm.
I'm gonna brave it and drive from western NY to Charlotte, NC tomorrow via the "truckers highway" I-81. From what I can see there may be a little snow on the way but we skirt the lee side of the mountains for most of the way and the brunt of the snowfall has been on the western side, 2-3 feet in places of WVA.
Normally wouldnt be so foolish to do this trip, but my daughter is being given a baby shower this weekend and we dont want to miss that.
Any excuse to see the kids

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.