Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Looking for camera recommendations
Jerry
# Posted: 2 Dec 2009 18:48

Hi all. I'm considering buying a digital camera and would like some recommendations from those of you with some knowledge and experience in this area. I can't spend a bundle, would like to stay around or under $300 - maybe $400. I spend a lot of time in the outdoors and would like a good zoom lens for those wildlife shots. I don't plan on printing anything larger than the usual 4x6' or whatever. I'd also like get some good closeups of bugs, flowers, etc and maybe put some stuff on ebay with pictures. I'd rather not keep a stock of AA batteries so that may be something to consider, and I want something small and rugged enough to carry in a large pocket on a daily basis. Recommendations on brand, model, good deals, etc are appreciated. Thank you.

Jerry

flatwater
# Posted: 2 Dec 2009 20:05

I like the canon's but for a good zoom , you won't find one that fits your pocket unless you have big pockets

Vince P
# Posted: 8 Dec 2009 13:10 - Edited by: Vince P

My preference is the Pentax Optio WP, which incidentally meets all of the criteria you desciribe. It would be unfair to call it a point and shoot with the amount of settings and controls it has, but I just set it and forget it.
I am an avid canoeist, so the fact that this little gem is waterproof makes it the perfect choice for me.
I have the first generation of this model, but I believe a second or third generation is now available called the WPi.

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 8 Jan 2010 13:41

We have a cannon SD1100IS and love it. It is compact, durable and take great pics with 8.0 mega pixels. Had an issue with the zoom, mailed it to cannon and we got it back in a little over a week, repaired for free. Very happy with the camera and the customer service!

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 8 Jan 2010 13:56

Here are a few pics...
jeep'n
jeep'n
gobble gobble
gobble gobble
bison
bison
sailing dogs
sailing dogs

Gary O
# Posted: 2 Nov 2010 22:54

We sure like our Nikon DSLR. Not pocket worthy but a great little camera. Prices have dropped from $1200 a few years ago to $500, and many lens options.
Battery is rechargeable (seems like several hundred pix between charges)
We got a cheap fisheye lens on Ebay for $15.
Close ups are pretty great with it.
Yellow Rose for my Texas bride
Yellow Rose for my Texas bride

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 2 Nov 2010 23:27

We are very pleased with our Samsung HZ35W, 15x optical zoom, 24mm-360mm equiv., 720p video, beautiful 3" AMOLED display.

I really like the wide end of the zoom range. The battery recharges from a USB port or USB car charger. Very convenient. I like the 24mm feature best, my wife loves the vibrant display for shooting in bright daylight.

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Nov 2010 23:43 - Edited by: MtnDon

Do you want small and compact or do want the advantages of the bulkier SLR?

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4. It's a couple years old now and replaced with newer models, but still available. Not quite as small as some others, but very nice. Great lens. The newer models have wider angle lenses and more zoom range. All lens are made by Lietz and excellent.

fasenuff
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 10:48

What ever you get make sure it uses a normal usb cable to connect with your computer. Inevitably you will lose the cable or it will go bad and finding one is important. Also check which flash card it uses and what sizes it will accept. Many of the digital cameras will also do short movies which can be great at times. A picture of the grand baby laughing is cute but a video with sound is hillarious. Don't settle for the first one that fits your pocket book. Check the local pawn shops to see what they have because you may get more for less. And remember that pawn shops will let you bicker for a lower price than what is listed.

Youngster
# Posted: 23 Feb 2011 00:05

adding to fasenuff's comments, also keep an eye on local craigslist... i bought my current Sony camera for pennies on the dollar from some rich folks who thought they lost it on vacation, bought an even more expensive camera and later found the older one in their luggage...

make sure it has decent optical zoom and good lighting settings... i prefer 3" screens and the user-friendliness of the Cybershot series...

best of luck...

steveqvs
# Posted: 25 Feb 2011 08:33 - Edited by: steveqvs

The canon T2i can be had for the $800 range and prices should drop in a month or two as its upgrade the t3i comes out. This camera is a dslr has removable lenses and features crazy good hi def video, with some limitations. Well worth the cash if you want to get into some nice nature photography.
flower.jpg
flower.jpg

avan
# Posted: 19 May 2011 00:42

The Canon s90-s95 are a good choice in the range you are looking for. It start at 28mm wich it's good for landscape. If you have a little bit of photographic knowledge, you can go all manual or... full automatic. For action photography, nothing beat a DSLR.

s95
# Posted: 19 May 2011 11:34

2nd Canon S95

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.