Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Animal pets
flatwater
# Posted: 14 Dec 2009 22:41

I have read a few offgridders talk about raising a stray fawn or a baby mountain lion ETC: ETC; what do ya'll think about this ? Me personaly, I think it's way to dangerous. Although I did raise a baby catfish once until it was big enough to eat.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 7 Apr 2010 23:37

I hope you don't eat your other animal pets...lol

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 12:50

My brother and I raised a bobcat one summer after high school. We were living in the mountains and stumbled on a kitten on the trail. It was starving and its hair was matted with mud. I would never take one out of the wild but he was already dead. It was a lot of fun but a lot of work. He ended up getting killed a year later buy scavenging from an illegal poisonous trap.

pheasantplucker
# Posted: 12 Nov 2010 23:06

I personally think it's not a good idea.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Nov 2010 23:25 - Edited by: hattie

Bad idea.....If you raise something like a fawn, it will get used to people and come hunting season it will be shot. If you feed bears, they get used to people and then they get shot. If you feed raccoons, they get used to people and they get shot. Notice a pattern here? All babies are cute, but if you really care about them, you will leave them alone and just admire them from a distance.
In my opinion, that is the kindest thing you can do for wildlife.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Nov 2010 12:24 - Edited by: Gary O

Our son adopted a hybrid wolf pup when he lived up in Alaska.
Brought it down with him one visit.
The little devil couldn't quit chewing/biting.
You know how pups playfully fake nip and mouth your hands?
This one was serious..basically trying to shred a finger or two off for a snack.
We all wore the bite/shred marks weeks after they left.

Had a friend with a pet couger...containment issues.....and other issues if not fed regularly

They all belong in the wild.....

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 28 Jan 2011 00:10 - Edited by: elkdiebymybow

Bad idea. There are several animal rescue businesses which are set up to handle critters which for one reason or the other end up in trouble. I know of one such place in Montana which handles grizzly bears born in captivity and held in inhumane conditions. Bears such as these are in a bad way but this center allows them a home in captivity which is very well suited for a long and human life. Locally here in Idaho there is a black bear rehabillitation center which rescues orphaned bears but is set up to return them into the wild. same for the World Center for Birds of Prey.

http://www.peregrinefund.org/world_center.asp

These folks and similar groups have the biologists on staff and funding to handle wild animals in distress and if at all possible, return them to life in the wild. Leave it to the experts.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.