Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / How is everyone doing? (cabin and outdoor life)
neb
# Posted: 19 May 2013 17:53 - Edited by: neb

Hi everyone! I see alot of people are in the construction mode and that is fun but the fun starts when you can enjoy the cabin and outdoor life. I really have been having the joy of my life. I love the solitude and have been hiking, hunting, fishing and carving. I hope everyone has had a great time this spring.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 May 2013 18:02

Hi Neb,
It certainly does look like you've been enjoying yourself!
I'm still in awe of your carving talents

Kharkov43
# Posted: 19 May 2013 19:24

I love catfish with ketch-up.......

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 May 2013 19:58

those are wonderful carving Neb.thank u for sharing.wow.very talented.where will u place them??
i love any fish but i love catfish alot.yum.

neb
# Posted: 19 May 2013 20:41

Interesting that some of you like catfish. I really haven't eaten any till last summer when I caught a few and they where really good. People in my neck of the woods won't keep them they only want walleyes to eat and they are very good but cats seem fine for me.
The carvings are around my home and I have one at the shack. I have started another one and only work on it when the weather doesn't cooperate with me and messes up my outdoor activities. I'm that kind that can't sit still to long LOL so I'm always tyring do something before times runs out. LOL I hope all have a great summer in the sun.

hattie
# Posted: 19 May 2013 23:07

Love your carvings....So much talent!!!!

exsailor
# Posted: 20 May 2013 10:48

Hey Neb,
Seems whether you like catfish or not is regional or an open mind. All the people from Michigan I know don't think much of catfish. They are too spoiled by lake perch or walleye. I grew up in the midwest and catfish are considered good eaten, just like any game fish, although I think channels are the only cats considered game fish. By the same token I have eaten shade and carp and can't statnd the muddy taste. I have heard there is a way to clean that muddy taste out, but it didn't work for us. Haven't tried cutting off the tail and bleeding them out. A guy I met in Kentucky swears it works.

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 20 May 2013 15:37

It is definitely regional. No one from Minnesota seems all that keen on them either. However, I had catfish made for me by a friend who grew up in W Virginia and it was phenomenal. She said it is all how it is made. She soaked hers in milk for a while, then rinses it, and prepares it. In my experience catfish tasted muddy, but hers was great.

countryred
# Posted: 20 May 2013 16:42

I grew up eating lots of catfish. If they eat a lot of shad you have to get all the fat off. Soaking in heavy salt water works well too. Roll them in flour, cornmeal and some season salt..I like Lawrys.

Also had some that was wrapped in foil with beer and bbq sauce .

Flatheads are the best, but channels and blues are good too.

Glad you are enjoying yourself. Thats what it is all about!

Kharkov43
# Posted: 20 May 2013 18:45

Channel cats for me........ Fried at that!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.