Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Sometimes I think how lucky I am and all who have cabins and the great outdoors
neb
# Posted: 8 Jun 2013 15:49

Was at the cabin Friday and what a day I had. I did some fixing and this and that (just putzed). LOL I planted about 90 trees this spring many cottonwood, choke cherry, plum and walnuts. I took a walk up one draw and just about stepped on a fawn. If I would have known that the fawn was there I wouldn't have went up in there. It ran so fast I could hardly see it go with all the tall grass. I hope it unites with mom the lion and coyotes are here and always looking for an easy meal. I will be seeding some alfelfa in the draws this next week. I should have done this earlier but time is always an issue. I worked on the road hauling dirt and digging water ways with a shovel for better drainage. The wild flowers are really nice this year and the wild onions are all over this year. I just never get tried of being there and working to improve it. We all have been very blessed in our own spot here on earth. Have a great time at your cabins.

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Jun 2013 15:58

I live in a city with dense population in a condo development with people on top of people. Traffic on the roads/freeways all the time. It's a constant stressor- always other people to bump against. But then.....

I go to my 5 acres in the mountains, and I have the whole place to myself. People in the town 2 miles away are courteous and personable. I walk around the property looking for what evidence of wildlife is there, wildflowers, etc. and feel very relaxed, despite my long list of hard work to do. Yes we are lucky. Most people in the world do not have this kind of opportunity.

Thanks for the reminder, neb.

Kudzu
# Posted: 8 Jun 2013 17:06

Yep, I agree, we are all very fortunate to have a place to go and be free of life's worries. I love my cabin and spot of land and will never take it for granted.

neb
# Posted: 8 Jun 2013 17:39

Quoting: Kudzu
and will never take it for granted.

So true!

hattie
# Posted: 8 Jun 2013 19:09

Sometimes I think we are the luckiest people in the world!!

neb
# Posted: 8 Jun 2013 20:56

Quoting: hattie
Sometimes I think we are the luckiest people in the world

Hattie Oh ya we are!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 8 Jun 2013 21:02

Yes I feel very lucky. The harder we DH and I work the luckier we get!I think most of us have worked twice as hard as most people to be able to afford the dream of a cabin. Since it is usually a second home. Maybe not as expensive or with the modern comforts of our city homes. I don't mind that at all since we are there during the summer months. It is not down south so the summer weather is perfect! I love the quaint glow of a oil lamp and showering in our outdoor shower.

I have not traveled the World as I have desired to. I had a choice. I could have a cabin or travel. Since I'm the type of person that craves peace and quiet I decided on the cabin. A decision I have never regretted.

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Jun 2013 21:20

I agree with you silverwaterlady. And neb, thank you so much for the reminder . I think we all are blessed!!!

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 9 Jun 2013 08:44 - Edited by: cabinbiscuits

I grew up in Baltimore City in a row house with a chain link fence around a small back yard, with an even smaller front yard.

When I go to our land and I look at the trees and even the boulders, I marvel at how God has entrusted me to care for such a beautiful piece of His earth for a time and how fortunate I am.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 9 Jun 2013 10:49

Unfortunately in my line of work I deal with the seedy underbelly of society every day. It can get depressing and take its toll on a person. So I am very thankful to have a place I can go to and get away and recharge. I think ever time I step on my property my blood pressure drops a 100 points. Lol

I just came back from a week at the cabin by myself. Although I spent the whole time "working" on projects I always find it so relaxing and de-stressing. My wife and I plan on spending most of August at the cabin and are looking forward to relaxing before the hustle and bustle of fall.

Every time we get there we says thanks for having a place like this. We are all very lucky!

shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 9 Jun 2013 13:13

Yep, you sure are a lucky group of people.
Next month im heading to Baldwin Mi with the wife,kids and the worlds smallest black labrador to check out the area we will probably buy a small cabin next year.
Went fishing yesterday at Lake Michigan in downtown Chicago.
Had to listen to and see the ghetto trash drop the f bomb every 30 seconds with my youngest with me.
I used to say with pride im from Chicago, now i say it with shame.
Cmon next year!!!!!!!

neb
# Posted: 9 Jun 2013 16:21

We all know how thankful we are! I just got back from Paradise again. I live 20 min. from there so when I need a jump start out the door I go. LOL I did some more work on the shack and carved out a walking cane. I had a deer come by and never seen me there carving. Just amazing the sites and sounds we get to see and hear. I moved a lot of old grass so I can plant some alfelfa this week and hope it takes. I was late again on the seeding but it may take hold. On the walk out I just took my time because I can (LOL) and took the time to look and smell the great outdoors. I hope all of you have a great summer at the cabin and yes how lucky can I be!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Jun 2013 08:20 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

YES we are Neb!!!!....looking forward to going to the southern cabin TOMORROW!!! I hope!!!! ( been over 2 weeks!! ) had company for a week~~~~need to check on things., check trail cams...put out a couple bags of salt. Check on freshly planted food plots!! With all this rain the seeds should be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!

Smawgunner
# Posted: 10 Jun 2013 18:11

Very fortunate. My wife and I just got back from a vacation in st. John and I swear I have a more relaxed time on the property than on a tropical island!

Rossman
# Posted: 10 Jun 2013 20:13

Tropical islands are overrated!

I found wild strawberries that the deer and rabbits missed last weekend (most were long gone) and fed them to my rabbit...he loved them!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 06:22

It is so much work, has been for about a year and a half, since we started the cabin. I am thiiiiiiisssss close <----> to "finishing" it.. heh. Every time we go it is a chore because we know we have a lot of work and it is going to be hot, but when I wake up and am drinking my coffee on the porch and listening to the birds, it's sooooo worth it... heh

Russ

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.