Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / moths everywhere!!
WY_mark
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 11:35

Hi all,
Went to the cabin this week and we always have a fly or three or a moth, but this time we opened the door to discover 30-50 miller moths hurling themselves at the windows. I have no idea how they got in. everything is sealed up fairly tight. the door is sort of drafty, but not really. we got our spray insulation last week and all of the gaps in the walls are tight now. any ideas where to look for how they got in? any ideas on keeping them out that doesn't involve mothballs - I hade the smell and mothballs make me sneeze endlessly.
thanks for your suggestions!

hattie
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 12:07

Maybe try putting out pieces of cedar. Moths aren't supposed to like it and it smells a lot better than mothballs.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 13:45

The good thing is heavy populations of those are cyclical. Once in a while is a bad year. They love impossibly tight spaces, places you'd never dream of. We have sliding windows and they absolutely love to hide in the tracks of the movable section. Whenever we are hit with masses of them I get outthe shop vac and one of us sucks them into the wand as the other opens the window. Then we live with them a while and the population drops to near zero for a few years.

ericfromcowtown
# Posted: 1 Jul 2013 09:15

This weekend, while at the cabin, my wife wakes me up frantically from a dead sleep. The culprit - a large moth. It was only after dispatching said moth that I was able to go back to sleep. The next morning, when we debriefed, I explained that she should only wake me up in an emergency. She responded that a large moth will always be an emergency in her books!

Redneck7
# Posted: 13 Aug 2013 23:44

Quoting: ericfromcowtown
I explained that she should only wake me up in an emergency. She responded that a large moth will always be an emergency in her books!

Lol well I know this trick works for flys maybe moths too haven't seen anything in our covered walk way at the farm. No science just water and pennies. You can hang two bags or 1 lots of pennies or little. Experiment with it. Good luck.

Kyle.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.