Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Fishing and scenery!
Redneck7
# Posted: 13 Aug 2013 23:38

Well title says it all, I'll be back there tomorrow night after I buy a better rod. This one is a pita.
Small cove I launch at.
Small cove I launch at.
My rig I take everywhere.
My rig I take everywhere.
20" jack fish.
20" jack fish.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 07:32

Canada. No jackfish in the States. Show us the ''big'' one.

Redneck7
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 08:22

I only caught one but hopefully I can change that tonight.

Kyle.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 09:13

Good luck. We call them northerns. I suppose if Canadians had to call them by location, it would be southerns.

O

razmichael
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 09:13

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Canada. No jackfish in the States. Show us the ''big'' one.

Hey Owen - It's all in the name!
Jack fish are Northern Pike (or just Northern in some places. From the 'never wrong' Wikipedia:

"The northern pike (Esox lucius, known simply as a pike in Britain, Ireland, most parts of the USA, or as jackfish in Canada or simply "Northern" in the Upper Midwest of the USA), is a species of carnivorous fish of the genus Esox (the pikes). They are typical of brackish and freshwaters of the northern hemisphere (i.e. holarctic in distribution).
Within North America, there are northern pike populations in Illinois, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Montana, Maryland, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Indiana, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Vermont, Iowa, Utah, Northern New Mexico and Arizona, Colorado, New York, Idaho, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Québec (pike are rare in British Columbia and east coast provinces), Alaska, the Ohio Valley, the upper Mississippi River and its tributaries, the Great Lakes Basin and surrounding states, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado and parts of Oklahoma"

creeky
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 09:17

and they are delicious.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 11:29

I know.
Pics. from years ago
northern
northern
another one
another one

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 12:32

Just FYI: related earlier topic: Fish Tales.

Kharkov43
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 16:35

Slimie suckers if you ask me! And aggressive.

Redneck7
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 23:15

Great info and pics. But yes they have the above names, they always put up a great fight. This lake is surrounded by private property so it's never fished. And only canoe/ kayak accessible.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.