Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Mildew this year
yankeesouth
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 15:56

I know folks from all over the country, even world, chime in on this site but I have a question. Regardless of where you are located, did it seem like there was more mildew/mold this year? My place is in the Northeast and for the first time we had mildew on the wood inside the cabin. We would leave for 3 weeks to a month....and when we came back....bam...mildew, the green dusty stuff. This never happened before. Also....this is the first year I saw a very light orangish dusting on my lawnmower and shoes when I cut my lawn. I was told it was some type of mold spore.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 21:29 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

My cabin area is dry, we have over 300 days of sunshine a year. High desert area) I am in the hills and we have lots of evergreens, but the air isnt humid. I have never had any mold or mildew. Sounds like you have lots of humidity and not enough air flow through the cabin. Can you do anything to "move air"?

If you have a vented attic, can you leave the access door ajar or opened? This will keep air moving and prevent mold. You could leave a few windows ajar, but for security, may not be a good idea.

As for that orange dusting on your shoes when mowing, there is a fungus called "Red Thread", I have had it in my lawn, its spread by walking through it, mowing, unavoidable. You can treat it, but you may be able to fertilize it out.

I found this:
http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/diseases/Red_Thread.aspx

Rossman
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 22:18

It was wet this year, here in Ontario (Canada) anyway...

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 08:48

Hello Yankeesouth-

Here in California it's been a dry year.

Just wanted to say, if you don't already know it, that any kind of mold/mildew in a building can be really bad for your health. I hope you can find a way to ventilate to prevent more from occurring, and thoroughly clean what's there. You don't want to breath that stuff.

good luck

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 09:12

We had a really wet period of time. At the peak we had 12" of rain in 36 hours so it probably just took extra long for the moisture to leave the area. Weeds were growing in like a jungle. I had lawn furniture that started growing mildew on it that it had never had before. Even the cabin smelled musty and we have an air exchanger and dehumidifier.

So yes...

yankeesouth
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 11:40

Thanks for the responses. Ya....I know anything moldy/mildew is bad. Along with a wood burner running with no water/steam.....the cabin also got a hell of a bleach bath this past weekend. I am just stumped because this is the first year I had the stuff. I guess I need to look at a roof vent or some type of ventilation up top.

Anyone have any luck with putting charcoal around to soak up the moisture?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.