Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / lady bug problem
bukhntr
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 19:14

I think I saw a post on here before for ladybugs. We have not had many hard freezes yet and are getting a lot of ladybugs past our screens but not the windows. When I open the windows I have maybe 10-20 ladybugs in the frame. I am seeing few inside the cabin, but think they are the result of a few escaping when someone opens a window. I have seen them crawl through cracks near ceiling between sheetrock and t&G as it is not finished yet. What solutions to you recomend? Will a few inside become an infestation? I remove them as I see them but more come from outside each visit.

VC_fan
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 19:51

We had a pretty major infestation at our shack when I was there maybe a month ago (southeast Ohio). I estimated roughly 1 or 2 per square inch on the outside walls. Typically I get 1/4-1/2 cup of them inside over the course of the fall but I'm only there maybe once every six weeks and have never been there when they were swarming. And not to nit pick but I think they're actually Asian beetles. Basically a lady bug but tan or brown instead of red. Solution: most people I know who live in rural areas just learn to keep them swept up. Maybe other folks will have some suggestions.

bukhntr
# Posted: 22 Nov 2013 21:57

so far we are just keeping up with them as we go, ours are definitly full on red lady bugs. My concern is if the few that get in stay in the insulation in the attic and increase.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 23 Nov 2013 00:10

You really need to get the lady bugs that are in your house while there are only a few because they put out a scent attracting other lady bugs.

My cousin in SE Ohio had so many outside she had to use a shop vac to get rid of them.

spencerin
# Posted: 16 Nov 2019 22:14

Resurrecting an old post. I figured if someone else would've experienced it, I would probably find that person here. I was right.

I have what would be defined as a "moderate" ladybug infestation. In the 4 years I've owned my property, I don't remember seeing a single ladybug. And then I built something, and they apparently thought it was for them and not for me!

It's not TOO bad (Google it to see how bad it can get). Probably 3 dozen dead (or hibernating?) on the inside (I think they found their way in between window and door panes) and a couple hundred in nooks and crannies all over the outside. I'd say a larger amount infestated a large piece of plastic bunched up under my cabin, so throwing that away made it easy to relocate a majority of them.

I have never heard of it before! It's good that they're harmless, but I understand it could get worse because they leave pheromones behind.

Any advice on how to handle it?

ArtifactJack
# Posted: 4 Dec 2019 08:49

I have the same problem with them here in SE Ohio. I have sprayed the exterior with bug killer around the windows with limited results. I put them in the fire pit when I sweep up. I also bombed the cabin a few times but nothing seems to work. I am going to put the granular pesticide around the perimeter to see if it helps next year. Also having a problem with stink bugs. Praise the Lord for my solar system, as I can vacum them up now. Good luck.

old243
# Posted: 4 Dec 2019 09:15

I have a friend in a large city in Ontario, that purchases lady bugs ,from a supplier. I think in the fall when they are dormant Release them in the spring. Several of his neigbors , do as well. He has fruit trees and a garden, he claims that his fruit trees are almost free of worms, aphids etc since they started to bring them in. At our place we have a few, some years more than others. I like them more than cluster flies. I learned a rhyme, when I was little, If a lady bug lands on you. Just repeat, lady bug, lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire , and your children's alone. Not sure if this would help old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.