Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Horrible end to the Memorial Day weekend (Caution)
Smawgunner
# Posted: 26 May 2014 14:04

What are the odds. Horrible end to an otherwise great weekend. Kim and I hiked back to the waterfall (25 ft) on our property. We were standing there talking when all of a sudden a 3-4 month old fawn jumps to her death and lands just feet in front of us. Unfortunately I think we may have scared her. We didn't even hear her or her mother up top. My wife handled it better than I did.
[url= ][/url]

neb
# Posted: 26 May 2014 14:38

That is sad. Not to question the age of that fawn but it looks more like a 1 or 2 week old fawn? It maybe was not that good on it's feet yet and was surprised by something and fell. I'm just guessing what could of happened to the little guy.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 26 May 2014 16:09

I think you're right Neb...the more I look at the pic the more I think she was much much younger. I'm afraid we surprised it.

Nirky
# Posted: 26 May 2014 16:15

Don't blame yourselves. You did nothing irresponsible to scare or provoke the animal. It's just one of those sad things of life.

bobrok
# Posted: 26 May 2014 17:30

+1 to above. As much as you want to say 'what if' or believe you did something to provoke the fawn it wasn't your fault. My compliments to Kim for the rescue. You did the right thing.

hattie
# Posted: 26 May 2014 22:02

Oh this is so very sad. I don't think it was anything you did though. Fawns this young usually hide in the bushes when they are frightened. It was probably just a terrible accident and a terrible thing for you to see.

rayyy
# Posted: 27 May 2014 05:50

It's not your falt.Usually momma deer's keep their babies up on flatter ground.And it's unusual for a fawn to bolt like that.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 May 2014 06:09

so sad for the little fellow.....I bet he was no older than a week...

things happen it was a accident

Jim in NB
# Posted: 27 May 2014 06:24

The natural world can be quite cruel. Don't beat yourself up on it though - doesn't sound like (or look like) you did or would have done anything to do this on purpose - could have as easily been a bear or a porcupine that startled the fawn with the same result.

SandyR
# Posted: 27 May 2014 08:29

I think the love that you both had for the fawn in the end is what matters. Just like pp have said there was nothing you could have done to prevent the death, but what you felt in your hearts is what counts.

What did you do with the fawn afterward? Just wondering about what the mama did without her baby.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 27 May 2014 17:29

Didn't even see the mother. We put the body on a field for the buzzards or coyotes.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 27 May 2014 17:29

Thanks all for the kind words!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 May 2014 17:37

That's sad. The poor babe was probably being chased by a predator.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 May 2014 21:17

Oh, how sad, to see the little lifeless thing in her arms. I'm certain it was being chased by a predator. Certainly not your fault at all.

klb67
# Posted: 28 May 2014 06:15

I was fishing in a stream once and heard a commotion upstream and turned and saw a buck run off a high cliff and crash into the stream bed below-about 50 feet. The stream was less than a foot deep there. I assumed it had been shot (hunting season) but when I walked up to it I found no wounds. I assume it didn't realize the cliff was there and/or a coyote ran it off. Strangest think I ever saw in the woods. Seeing a fawn do that would have been tough.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 28 May 2014 08:25

That is so strange. On the same day we had a raccoon fall 60 ft from an oak tree into the water (it did eventually make it to shore alive). Then later that evening we had a frog jump from a tree limb into our fire...it was cooked before we could save it. We thought there must be an apocalypse coming or something.

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 May 2014 14:43

I've had a mouse in my shed gradually digging away at stored insulation. So I set a Hav-a-hart trap and caught it, then released it 2 miles away. But it occurred to me that I just placed the mouse in totally unfamiliar surroundings, away from its customary food sources, where it may not be aware of the predators, and where it has no home to go to. I wonder what his chances of survival are.

What it comes to is you can't be in the world without affecting other creatures, and without being affected by them. All you can do is your best.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.