Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / perennial wildflower
neb
# Posted: 8 Jun 2014 23:10

Has anyone planted any wildflowers? I have some side hills I would like to get some flower going. If so do you think hand spreading would work?

hattie
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 23:28

We tried many, many times to get a wildflower garden going in our front yard. We spent hundreds of dollars buying seeds and pellets. The pellets were pretty funny because they were purple. It looked like a purple rabbit had been playing in our yard. *LOL* We also tried transplanting wild flowers. We had absolutely zero success with it and ended up with grass. There is a beautiful wild purple flower here (in BC) which grows in the rocks. I think every person in our town has tried to transplant them into their gardens. Not one flower ever took.

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 23:53

its worth a try neb.

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Jun 2014 18:16

I threw Collinsia seed around my property, which is a California native that grows in harsh, dry environments. It's an annual, it reseeded itself the next year and years following but less and less each year, finally it pooped out, this year I saw one plant.

I threw lots of other seeds, apparently only the lupine took. There are a couple of them, they are perrenial and hopefully will spread.

I guess the lesson is that you have to have plants well adapted to your particular clime.

creeky
# Posted: 10 Jun 2014 18:53

there's a guy in our area who does seed collecting of local wild flowers. you might find someone through your local gardening club or watch the local paper for classes they run. I usually see him at flea markets and what not.

with the new property i've given up. just let the birds bring what they may. had a really beautiful bee bush last year. doesn't appear to have survived the cold/wet winter spring tho.

I did hand seed a township right of way/field a number of years back with a bunch of packets of old wildflower seed I'd found. free. the first year was really pretty. after that... might have been the mowers cut 'em down before they set seed?

worth trying for sure. especially if you can control the mowing factor.

Brettski
# Posted: 10 Jun 2014 22:44 - Edited by: Brettski

We executed a methodical planting of wildflowers about 7 years ago on our property. Many of the species were perennial. We used a government sponsered program called Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP). We worked it through our county NRCS office. It included a visit by the state wildlife biologist to our property for a survey and plan assistance. We were in the middle of digging our pond and much of the areas we wanted to plant were in the open areas adjacent to the pond footprint. I don't specifically recall all the minute details of the project, costs, and contracts. If your property qualifies for the program (not difficult, but you have to commit a certain minimum project cost...something like $2000 or so), the government will cover up to 75% of those costs. In essence, our NRCS agent looks over the areas we want to commit to the program. This includes trees, bushes, flowers, and grasses. The idea here is to create areas that are benficial to wildlife. The NRCS agent helps (guides) the landowner to develop certain areas with certain foliage. if both parties agree, the NRCS agent estimates the costs of the vegetation (seeds and seedlings). This estimate is typically the min amount of vegetation to satisfy natural needs. The govt then offers to pay for 75% of that cost. The landowner can/will pony up the costs (or labor) for planting and any additional vegetation they may want. For instance, many of our wildflower seed mixes were calculated by the govt at 2# per acre, so we up'd it to 4# per acre. The addtional seed came directly out of our pocket, but we felt it would be worth it. We also planted something like 400 trees and 800 bushes and a lot of warm and cool season grasses. We hired out a certified forester to do the tree/bush planting and a local farmer to use a seed drill that he had borrowed from Pheasants of America (or something like that; an organization for promoting pheasants and other small fowl). These planting/drilling costs came outta our pocket. The landowner commitment is 5 years of promoting the areas planted without destroying or significantly altering the subject zones. After 5 years, you can do what you want.
The first year, the wild flowers were sparse. The second year was much stronger and the third year was very impressive. After that, though, pretty much all of the flowers diminished until now, some 7 years later, about 5% of them come back up. We figured perennial meant forever; wrong.
Regarding planting method, we were told that using a seed drill is by far the best way. Absent a seed drill, cast the seeds out in early spring right after the last snow is melting down. The natural melt and ground thaw will be beneficial in taking the seeds down into the top soil for subsequent germination.
For seed type and supplier info, I HIGHLY recommend starting with your local county NRCS agency. Their office is typically adjacent to the USDA office. I have spoken with numerous NRCS offices throughout the midwest as a result of our property search as we investigated properties with the plan of digging a pond. I have found varying degrees of helpfulness ranging from tepid to amazingly supportive.

Edit: this is/was one of the best sources of info for our selections URL

neb
# Posted: 11 Jun 2014 20:15

Thanks everyone for that good advise. I just have been thinking about doing for sometime but not sure if I will do it now.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Jun 2014 21:19 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

My place is full of wildflowers. Looks like 2 types, a blue one and a red ones and loads of wild strawberries. Loaded in the spring. After that, I dont see the flowers.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jun 2014 00:35

got lots of wild strawberry plants.no berries.
got lots of wild currants.
pretty much no flowers on our property.some lil piddly flower that is yellow i think.

smallworks
# Posted: 21 Jun 2014 00:15

We have tons of blueberries and mosses. I'm satisfied.
Really learn about the soil, climate etc before spending tons of money that would be better spent elsewhere.
I'm letting nature take its course around the disturbed area around our cabin. Do you just want to plant a few things on the side hills, or are they barren?

neb
# Posted: 21 Jun 2014 23:07 - Edited by: neb

Native grasses exist and would like to spread some wildflower seed for wildlife etc. I have some wildflowers but are in small patches and some that I see when walking but not many. I did hand spread clover and alfalfa and it has done fairly well.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/neb33/100_1131_zpsfeb58df8.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Jun 2014 01:22

Quoting: cabingal3
.some lil piddly flower that is yellow i think.

Those are called dandelions (weeds) cabbi

Don_P
# Posted: 22 Jun 2014 09:07

From my aunt, "A weed is just a wildflower in the wrong place".
Much of it depends on where you are and what is adapted to the site. We have too many to name, my wife has the touch and has been able to transplant many from the forest into the landscape around the house. Some do slowly peter out, the deer have enjoyed a number of things she has planted, mostly store bought expensive treats to round out their dining. She pointed out a jack in the pulpit yesterday that had successfully come back this year.

smallworks
# Posted: 22 Jun 2014 23:44

Quoting: neb

Native grasses exist and would like to spread some wildflower seed for wildlife etc. I have some wildflowers but are in small patches and some that I see when walking but not many. I did hand spread clover and alfalfa and it has done fairly well.

Well, that's a beautiful photo. If this is the way of the way of your landscape, be patient and it will happen naturally. Where are you?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.