Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Wildlife Invasion
tverga
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 00:07

Hey All,
I seem to have more wildlife living under my cabin then what lives in the woods surrounding the cabin. I have caught groundhogs and a raccoon on the cameras. I went to Tractor Supply to see if there is a repellent, the sales guy looked at me with smile and said bird-shot! He said it was the only thing that he knows works.

Need ideas on chasing them out and keeping them out. The wife won't let me use them for target practice.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 01:06

How about a foul smell like vinegar or ammonia????

Hart Ridge
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 07:48

I had squirrels getting under my cabin and ended up wrapping around the base of the cabin with hardware cloth and burying the bottom about 5" below grade so they couldn't dig under. I'll eventually cover the hardware cloth with lattice to improve the look, but for now it seems to be working.

tverga
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 09:40

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
How about a foul smell like vinegar or ammonia????

I have tried Moth Balls and several replants but they seem to not mind the smell.

tverga
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 09:42

I agree on the hardware cloth for small animals but groundhogs seem to be able to did under anything. Plus I need to get rid of them first.

old243
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 14:07

Get yourself a live trap. baited with dry cat food works good. What you do with them after you trap them is optional. Just don't take them somewhere that they will be a nusence to someone else. Guess it depends how much you want them gone. You might also catch a skunk , which can be interesting. Good luck old243

creeky
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 15:38

I had good luck with orange/lemon/grapefruit peels. Esp. for squirrels. Supposed to smell like territory markings for a really BIG cat. But when it came to groundhogs ... s/he just came up and thanked me for the appetizer.

Seriously tho. Why worry about groundhogs. I've had them living next to me for the past 20 years. If you're around, they are somewhere else. They're clean. They're pretty cool. Did you know groundhogs make food stashes that have been excavated and are football fields long. They have thin fur so you only see them during the nicest part of the year (bet they wish they could go south). With that much food you have to wonder what they do all winter. Are they the gourmets of the rodent world? Do they watch Julia Child and prepare amazing wildfest foods? Plus, they have never attacked, bitten, mauled, clawed or even pestered anyone. Mellow folk who hang out and eat green stuff. What?

I had a buddy who freaked out about a skunk he saw on my property. That skunk eats moles and mice and, after 5 years here, has never bothered me. Tho I do smell him/her from time to time.

Okay. So let me tell you my raccoon story. I had an RV. Terrible thing, but anyway. One night I ate chinese eggrolls. Cabbage and I, historically, don't get along. That night, about 2. I woke myself up with a sound. I think you know what kind of sound. It was a big sound. A loud sound. A long sound.

So outside through the open window I hear, chitter chitter chitter.

Oh. I think to myself. The raccoons are going by. Then silence. I almost fall back asleep. then another loud sound emanates from the blankets. Who made that sound. Okay. It was me.

I hear "chitter, chitter, chitter." Then silence. A few minutes later. Another sound. Another round of chittering.

I'll cut a long story short. My digestive tract ailment allowed me to produce loud long sounds for about a half hour. One every five minutes. My appreciative audience just outside the RV, well, I swear it grew, and I learned one thing.

Raccoons love "sound" jokes.

I don't know about you'ze all. But I live out in the wilderness for the wilderness. The people, human and otherwize, that I meet out here. I really find that respect garners respect.

I would say you're pretty lucky to live in a place where wild creatures still abound. You could try being a good neighbor. Works for me.

bobrok
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 19:41

Not to make light of your 'condition' but you have me rolling on the floor laughing here!

tverga
# Posted: 3 Jul 2014 13:30 - Edited by: tverga

Quoting: creeky
Raccoons love "sound" jokes.

I don't know about you'ze all. But I live out in the wilderness for the wilderness. The people, human and otherwize, that I meet out here. I really find that respect garners respect.

I would say you're pretty lucky to live in a place where wild creatures still abound. You could try being a good neighbor. Works for me.

Fine, I'll take two orders of egg rolls and a coke, oh and something for the groundhog!

BTW, funny story

tverga
# Posted: 3 Jul 2014 13:33

I will put in the hardware cloth once I server them with an eviction notice. Getting them to pack their little bags is another thing.

I have set several traps but the squirrels seem to get there before the Groundhogs

gunseller
# Posted: 4 Jul 2014 07:58

Put on the hardware cloth but leave a small opening that has a one way flap door. They come out to play but can not get back in.
Steve

rayyy
# Posted: 4 Jul 2014 08:26

It's a battle keeping the critters from digging under my chicken coop so I stapled a 2 foot piece of chicken wire out from the base and covered it with dirt.The critters keep on trying to dig out but they cant get through this defense.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.