Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / wildlife food plots
old243
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 10:01

There was quite a lot of discussion this spring about establishing food plots . Just wondering if anyone planted one and how they turned out, how you maintain it etc. Also what you planted.
I planted mine in July , it is a mixture of dutch white clover, red clover, a bit of alfalfa, There was also a cover crop of wheat but I think the turkey's are it all. It is up about a foot now and very thick. I don't know if I should be trimming it back or just let it grow. There are deer , turkeys, and other critters using it now.
It is surrounded mostly by hardwood bush.There are soybeans close by as well . Looking forward to the fall hunting and watching. I am retired so have time to putter around, lean on the fence and enjoy the outdoors. Old243

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 15:49 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: old243
I am retired so have time to putter around, lean on the fence and enjoy the outdoors. Old243

me as well ~~~it is awesome --I love having no schedule

I bushhogged / bottom plowed & all purpose plowed/ all my plots sat/sun/mon/tues of last week.

we got a good rain on them this past week and last night.

I will plant the weekend of the 27th....

oat/wheat/rape/turnips/chicory/clover mix....

might throw some winter peas in the seed as well.

this is south of the Mason/Dixon line...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.