Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / close encounters with wildlife
<< . 1 . 2 .
trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 18:54

Funny story! The bears we have had didn't scare that easily...I was really surprised at how much effort it took to get them to leave.

Nice picture Owen!

hattie
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 22:04

Quoting: bushbunkie
I guess the cooler goes back in the truck every night like we did before!

Be careful because a bear can tear apart a car/truck in no time at all. The best place for food is hanging in a tree. At our camp we hang ours between two trees (about 20 feet up). There is a piece of wood joining the trees (it was there from a previous prospector) and we throw a rope over the wood and haul up the cooler. Even doing that, we have had bears climb into a tree and try to reach over to it. Eventually one of them managed to hook a nail into the cooler and he did get it down. We learned that bears really like coffemate. hahahahaha.....

neb
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 22:18 - Edited by: neb

These guys are always on my mind while in the outdoors. I have had many close calls and not sure why I have never been biten. They always have told me they are there but I have been one step from stepping on top of them.
2004_0915sheds0007.J.jpg
2004_0915sheds0007.J.jpg

exsailor
# Posted: 22 Aug 2012 11:58

Malamute,
If your dogs have a run in with porcupines and pick up some quills, there is a painless way to remove them. Don't pull them out, it will hurt and might break off part of the quill inside your dog. Turn the quill counterclockwise, as you gently pull back, and they will come right out. If you look at the tip it is a clockwise spiral. Hope you never need to use it but it will save needless suffering and a trip to the vet. I have never had to use this on me or a dog, but it does come from a knowledgeable source.

Seto
# Posted: 22 Aug 2012 13:42

skunks, raccoons, ocasional coyote, lots of mice, snakes, frogs, toads, crows, rabbits, deer, geese, turkeys, chickadees, i heard feral hogs are moving into the area and bear are seen from time to time

the ones that don't eat my garden or get into the trash or buildings are left alone. the ones that do, get removed by trapping or homemade hunting impliments, and 1 raccoon i found in the outhouse that i killed with a hammer

they either get buried, turned into hats, or eaten depending on size or time of year

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 22 Aug 2012 14:08 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

On our mountain, the threat of a bear encounter is always there. Our family and friends at Trout Camp have yet to have one, thankfully, but I know that it is only a matter of time. Two of the camps on the peak have some old timers that spend quite a bit of time up there enjoying their retirement. They are our eyes and ears and on every trip up I'm sure to stop down and learn the latest scoop on wildlife activity. Seems we have a roaming black bear that is a beast. Said to be in the 400lb class, I've see paw prints that measure in the 7" range, this bear is king of the hill. Several years ago, a 600lb + black bear was said to have been taken. Hunting season opens in less than a month, I'm hoping that someone will be lucky enough this season. He follows the same path, hitting the same camps every go-round. I'm also thankful that his mountain rotation skirts our property and isn't through it. We don't give him any reason to visit and lock down camp nightly and in between visits. Unfortunately, the path he takes is through camps that aren't so vigilant with their garbage collection and cleanup.

One problem that we do have and have had to deal with by avoidance is the coyotes. We've got a small pack that have yet to make themselves seen, but have no problem with being heard. Just about every visit we hear the sounds of babies talking in the woods followed by yelping and the rustling of leaves. We tend to enjoy ourselves around a large paved fire pit or the 12X20 deck within a cleared area. I think this fact makes them reluctant to exit the tree line, but they do circle and I know it is only a matter or time before I'll have to play target practice with them (hopefully all of them).

wakeslayer
# Posted: 22 Aug 2012 18:00

There is only one good kind of coyote...

I will be out again tonight. Bastards all...

TomChum
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 12:26 - Edited by: TomChum

I have coyotes, but never hear them at all. Curious what problems do coyotes cause (if you don't have a henhouse)?

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 12:31

In large packs they become brazen and aren't above attacking large animals (that would include humans).

hattie
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 12:46

We've never had any coyote problems in our area - there are lots of them here though. We did see a young coyote and a young black bear playing together in the middle of the road one day. I guess they were too young to realize they were different. People can learn a lot from animals. *S*

wakeslayer
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 12:57

First and foremost, one got my dog a year ago and almost killed her.
That in itself is enough for me.
Secondly, I do have a henhouse, and they got a dozen of my chickens in July. Normally we only locked them in at night. We locked them up full time after the first round of 9. Let them out one morning while we were in the yard. My wife came inside for two minutes, and a coyote came in the yard and got three of them. I looked out the window and there it was. Too late for me to get my rifle out.
Coyotes are vile creatures and the world would be a better place if they were extinct. Bash away if you like, but they are worthless varmints and any I see get a sudden case of lead poisoning.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 22:38

Quoting: Rob_O
Shoulda hit her with the pepper spray

My thought exactly. In a real survival situation, or lost in the woods, that type is the first to die off.

TomChum
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 23:33 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: DaJTCHA
In large packs they become brazen and aren't above attacking large animals (that would include humans).

It's true that it does happen, Coyotes killed a person in Toronto in 2009.....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/28/ns-coyote-attack-died.html Attacks on humans are very very seldom. You're far more likely to be killed by a drunk driver.

Here's a couple pics I took of Coyotes in my back yard in Seattle. Haven't heard of any human problems but people are definitely concerned for their pets.
Coyote prepped for a dog show.  He's looking directly at our chicken house.
Coyote prepped for a dog show. He's looking directly at our chicken house.
I suppose this coyote wants to play.  I took this pic thru the window of our house.
I suppose this coyote wants to play. I took this pic thru the window of our house.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 07:31

^^WOW^^ looks like easy pickins there, Tom.
Also, very healthy looking. Most of the ones I see around here are mangy and gross looking. The alpha male that I have not seen in a while looks like the dog show one, but redder.

I have been up since 4am this morning. All the local coyotes decided to sound off outside my window. I went out but couldn't spot any with my light. My dog is still freaking out...

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 07:47

Nice pictures.

Owen

Seto
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 11:33

out here ferral dogs are more a problem than coyote (surrounding communities have a tendency to get rid of unwanted litters by dumping them on the side roads around here, i went with a co-worker to check on a complaiint that coyotes attacked his livestock, the ones he shot were ferral dogs not coyote). coyote and big cats don't attack humans unless desperate, they are used to attacking quadrapeds and bipeds are confusing and they simply don't know how. humans also have a naturl reputation as apex predators.

the "coyote should be extinct" line was something i heard about wolves, when wolves were in bigger populations the coyote were rare, when wolves were gone the more scavanger coyote moved in. yes the populations are unnaturally high due to feeding off the stuff we create (they eat trash, livestock, hunt small game on forest edges), if they are removed the environmental effect will likely be worse for us (the stuff they normally eat will explode in population), but if numbers are kept in check through trapping and hunting they will be less likely to be problematic. arround here the numbers of hunters and trappers decreases every year, old timers give up or die off and their kids and grandkids have no interest in it.

bugs
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 11:41

Going a bit off topic here but:

TomChum the person was killed while hiking in Cape Breton not in Toronto. Also further information came out that she was likely hiking with her ipod or =ve and was not aware of her surroundings. A big mistake.

Wakeslayer: I thought people with your attitude were extinct. All ecosystems need carnivores to remain healthy. Without coyotes many areas would be overrun with mice, voles, gophers, rabbits, etc, road kills would not be cleaned up, and sick, old, past their prime (Jeezz sounds like me )and/or injured game ie deer etc would not be "removed" from the population to keep the gene pool healthy. Unfortunately managing populations with hunting often does not emulate predation as most hunters are after meat or trophies and the best animals for these are animals in their prime. Removing these fit animals from the population before they reach their reproductive potential will result in an overall decline in the health and fitness of the population over time.

And at least in my opinion, my cabin experience would be much less enjoyable if I could not hear "our" coyotes yapping and howling each evening and morning. We have potential to see or encounter cougar, lynx, wolves and black bear and even the potential of possibly seeing one, or more probably catching it on trail cameras, enriches my cabin experience.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 25 Aug 2012 10:41

Ok Bugs, I will go with you on "extinct" being an emotional overstep on my part. You are correct on the balance of nature aspect. Where I live, the coyotes are absolutely out of control and overpopulated. There are literally 12-15 of them just in the immediate vicinity of my farmyard They have no predator to keep them at the healthy population. My dog that was attacked is precious to me. Let alone the crazy vet bill. Also, to have them come in my yard and take out half my hens in a weeks time is frustrating and robs my family of food. Personally, I will whack every one that I see. I cannot possibly get them all. The state did away with a motivating bounty years ago and there is not much commercial desire for the pelts. The wolf comparison is a fairly good one to look at. Now, after an overly successful conservation effort a lot of states have re-evaluated the program and are already or about to institute a hunting program with regulated limits. Idaho and Montana have now for a couple years. I believe Minnesota starts this year. This of course bring out the extremists stating how beautiful they are and how none should be hunted. Now ask the farmers and big game hunters in Idaho. It is impossible to have the perfect solution.
Unfortunately, man has effed all of natures balance and is unable to fix it as nature would. Coyotes overpopulation are a consequence of that.
Extinct is wrong to say but I am going to do my part to greatly reduce their numbers to an acceptable level.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.