Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Wutizzit?
Gary O
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 22:17 - Edited by: Gary O

So this afternoon we're worshiping ol' sol, layin' on lounge chairs in the meadow, and I'm on my stomach, peering over the edge of the cushion, to observe the tinier world.

Seems there's a hatch goin' on.
Furry/fuzzy white creatures.
Delicate.

I touched one and it disintegrated.

They were all climbing grass blades. Hundreds of them.

To the casual eye, it's nothing more than a piece of dryer lint.

With a bit more delicacy I carefully broke off a blade and scrutinized one up close.

This little guy that from a side view, sometimes resembles a miniature mountain goat, somehow enjoyed strolling around on my finger, and actually preferred the comfort of my skin when I tried to re-introduce the blade of grass.

Also it can be confusing as to which way he's going since he moves rather slow.
The little yellow nub could either be his head or a hemorrhoid.
(reminds me of a Benny Hill skit where he plays a drunk: 'well, wouldja look at that one eyed cat'.....wait...oh....he's goin' the other way')

Anyhoot, anyone know the name of my new fuzzy little buddy?
We'll be at the ballpark....once I find a tiny Dodger cap

wait

nevermind

smallworks
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 22:24

It's a....
Mealybug Destroyer!! Cryptolaemus montrouzieri / Coleoptera Oak Ridge, TN June 2008 I was very surprised to learn through an internet search that this fuzzy white "aphid eater" is a type of ladybug larva! It closely resembles some of its prey; talk about a "wolf in sheep's clothing"! It has white waxy secretions that protect it from attacks from ants. The ants try to protect the aphids, which this larva eats, because they eat the honeydew produced by the aphids. What an amazing relationship between the three different types of insects! A Chinese relative of these predatory beetles is being used in the battle against the Hemlock Wooly Adelgids in the Smokies.

from EastTennesseewildflowers.com

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.