Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Wasps
toofewweekends
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 02:16

I've got wasps making a home in the roof of my sauna. Bad job by me sealing the eaves, and now I'm paying for it. The little buggers sting! Looking for advice on getting rid of them. What's worked for you? Traps, sprays that I can slip into the openings in the screens the wasps got in, deal with it when it's winter? I'd like to finish the trim and some other outside work without wearing a headnet and gloves!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 08:51

I use a wasp spray. But you need to get the stream on the nest area. Also a product called drione, you use a squeeze bulb and puff in a cloud of white power, kills them all and in short order.

pizzadude
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 09:26

Wait till dark.
Then attack.
I'm in a battle with a pack of wasps myself.
In my grandpa's pontoon boat. They made a nest inside the flip-up bench seat. I was successful in knocking down the softball sized nest with jet spray. Then pushed out the boat and did some fishing.
Thought I was victorious.
Got back to the dock, unloaded our equipment, went back to get my fishing rods.
Lo and behold there was a swarm of about 15 wasps trying to get back in.
Now I have to go back when I get time and attack again. This time I'll do it when they're all home.... after dark

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 10:28

Toyota Brake cleaner will drop them dead on the spot.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 10:33

WD-40 also seems to work, and you can get a pretty accurate shot from a reasonable enough distance away to stay sting-free most times.

bobbotron
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 10:38

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech

Ha!

I'm dealing with some too. In a small tree right over head where I've been building steps, it's amazing my lady friend and I haven't been stung multiple times!

Wasp killer is great, don't breath that stuff in!

I actually have a full can of brake cleaner left over from a brake job.... Noxious stuff, I may take your lead.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 11:46

The other year I cut down a tree with a big hollow in it that worried me. As I parted the tree cutting it into logs for the splitter I got back towards the stump. Out roared 100's of wasp attacking me. Dropping the chainsaw and leaping over stacks of brush I ran all the way back to the cabin which was a couple hundred feet away. As I got close some of the wasp jump off me and started on my two dogs. never have I been attacked like this before. 20 plus stings later I sent the wife to the country lumber yard that 20 minutes away with instruction to talk to them which stuff will do the deed for what I got. (This country lumber yard is great. You can buy 20 straight 2x4s by picking 20 off the pile. Try that at Home Depot)

She came back with two different types. An Ortho spray that you can use from 15 feet away and work your way in. Then I had another stuff which I forget it's name but it was a foam you injected into the port of the nest and it would expand. it worked great and I felt I got my revenge. Die little beasties

groingo
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 13:34

I had good luck with the foam based wasp and hornet killer plus it has good range, I typically will hit them once at night then check the next day and hit them again a night later to be sure they got the messge.

toofewweekends
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 23:04

Thanks for the tips. My problem is I can't see the nest since it's up in the roof somewhere. I like the powder/cloud idea and will give it a go. And do a serious re-seal effort come winter when they're sleeping or whatever they do.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 23:09

They are bad this year at our place. We have the paper nest type and the in ground nest builders. three of us were stung on the weekend. I usually knock them down at night with a long pole and throw a tarp over the nest and stomp. works well if your brave.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 00:30

They're horrible this year in Texas. Had my current house painted and the workers got rid of a bunch of nests/bees. I nuked another 3 nests before surgery. Now my son says he's doing battle with them. With all of the land and places around, I don't know why they're focusing on my house and property and haven't given up, grrrr.

They're extra-sneaky, too. Found big nests on the underside of the handrail for the porch steps and the handrail to the deck steps, too, and also on the underside of the deck, attached to the floor joists!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 07:10

I got stung twice on my ankle last week....while in my tractor shed. I was changing tire on front of my tractor and they had nest under a chair by tractor...all I had with me was PB Blaster and it done a job on the nest in short order.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 09:57 - Edited by: KinAlberta

(R-Rated) Shop Vac + Yellow Jackets / Wasp Removal / Extermination Tutorial / How To

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ytMcIpIRL3w

Wasp traps
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L4fvHzxsbuo

Killer Hornets from Hell | Animal Planet's Monster Week 2015 - YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N0R97BFdL_Q

creeky
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 13:02

that shopvac trick was cool.

i had yellow jackets in two ground nests two years ago. i used boiling water. one nest took a couple of boils.

Bevis
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 20:40

Brake cleaner period...That's what I use.

bukhntr
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 23:26

we had a wasp problem at our cabin, we purchased a wasp trap at menards for like $5. you put a small piece of meat in the bottom with a little fruit juice. We came back 2 wks later and the bottom was filled with dead wasps. Can't get them all but it helped. Also look for a source of mud nearby that they are using to build nests. We had a low spot that always held water near the cabin. After we put the culvert and rock in we hardly ever see them. It was the mud attracting them. I'm sure each case is different hope it helps

toofewweekends
# Posted: 21 Jul 2015 02:32

Thanks all. I really like the idea of shop-vac-ing the little buggers. Something satisfying about watching them disappear down the tube. But I'm packing in a large can of chemical spray, too. And one of those baited wasp traps. Will try them all, short of flamethrowers!

NorthRick
# Posted: 22 Jul 2015 15:52

Toofew,

The ones I've driven out of my shed maybe moved down to your cabin. Last year and this year they keep trying to build nests in my shed. I've been physically removing the nests, all decked out like a beekeeper, and then spraying regular bug dope (it's all I had out there) to deter ones returning to the nest.

I also use those "tennis racket" bug zappers to kill the occasional stray. Those hand held bug zappers are also fun to use on flies and skeeders.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.