Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Possibly Poisonous Milkweed Pods
rockies
# Posted: 25 Jul 2015 20:20

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/poisonous-milkweed-humans-74425.html

Looked this up after reading about milkweed pods

creeky
# Posted: 26 Jul 2015 09:23

http://foragersharvest.com/milkweed-a-truly-remarkable-wild-vegetable/

this guy has written an excellent guide to milkweed use and preparation. he stresses that you only want to eat common milkweed. Asclepias syriaca. and gives a guide for identification.

basically. if it's bitter, don't eat it. the "toxicity" of common milkweed is similar, according to this fellow who is an expert in wild harvest, to potatoes, tomatoes, black pepper, cabbage etc." all common foods.

I put milkweed flowers in my soup last night. they were delicious. no side effects I can see/smell/feel.

Ms. C, who I helped Friday harvest milkweed pods, said "only tiny ones" and she makes her living selling "wild harvest" foods. I think the largest we harvested was about 2" long.

Because we were doing wild harvest she was careful to harvest from fields away from spraying for crops.

On the pods, she said to dump into already boiling water for 5 minutes and they were good to eat. She then pickles and sells at the local farmers market.

Let me tell you, it was a real treat to go out on a wild harvest trek. I'm trying to convince ms. C that she should do tours. you think anyone would be interested? I'm also putting together some videos for my blog. Perhaps I could get Ms. C to show how to harvest and prepare milkweed.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.