Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / taming the land
cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Jul 2015 23:41

here is a picture of when the trees all fell in 2014.
an update.
the mister got the tree roots to fall back into the hole.
i dug the dirt back into the cracks around the root ball.
dug up roots and cut them.the ones i could not cut the mister did.
so now i am starting to work on improving this area.
i hauled 74 rocks from the neighbors for a border.
and gary o got the stumps down so i can put potted plants on them.
i got junipers planted.going to plant more of them soon.needed something hardy to survive the winters. junipers survive 40 below.
just a little progresss ...
trees down
trees down
new garden area where root ball was.
new garden area where root ball was.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 06:35

new garden area looks good...

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 08:45

Stumps are a PITA

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 10:54

bldginsp.what is PITA?

Kudzu
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 12:30

I bet it will be really nice when you finish it.

hattie
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 12:38 - Edited by: hattie

Cabingal3 - This looks amazing!!! It falls under that expression when one is given lemons you should make lemonade. Great work!!!

PITA - pain in the a__ It is also an East Indian flat bread that is very tasty.

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 13:26

Actually pita bread is from the Middle East, in India the flat bread is called naan. This creates some confusion. Once I was in a local Indian restaurant, and asked if they had bread. The response I got was, "We have naan", which I took to mean they didn't. But then he showed up with a basket of naan. All was well.

But stumps are a Pain In The Arse. Hard to dig, burn, cut or otherwise get rid of. Mother Nature knows how to make trees tough. I have a pile of stumps dug up by a backhoe which I left for three summers to dry enough that they will burn. This fall they torch. It pays to leave them for years before trying to burn them, otherwise you are left with charred lumps.

That picture of Gary cutting at one makes my back ache.

beachman
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 15:23

I can commiserate with you on the stumps. Had to pull several out by hand in building our place. They have been sitting beside the cottage for about 4 years now and should be dry enough to burn. However, I am toying with the idea of dragging them to a boat and dropping them off on some remote shore to eventually become nice driftwood. I would want to make sure they are secure and not become floating time bombs for some unsuspecting boater. They are a PITA!

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 20:59

Quoting: bldginsp
But stumps are a Pain In The Arse. Hard to dig, burn, cut or otherwise get rid of. Mother Nature knows how to make trees tough. I have a pile of stumps dug up by a backhoe which I left for three summers to dry enough that they will burn. This fall they torch. It pays to leave them for years before trying to burn them, otherwise you are left with charred lumps.

That picture of Gary cutting at one makes my back ache.

haa haa haa.thats funny and u do have the right picture in your mind on Gar cutting those stumps!...

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 21:01

next payday i am getting more junipers.trying to figure out what plant to put in the middle.
its not pretty now but an improvement.
thanks guys!

adakseabee
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 22:33

Old-timers occasionally used uprooted tree stumps to mark edges of fields, pastures, property lines, etc. Now, I am not that old, but I recall seeing some as a boy when we moved to the farm in upstate NY in '53. Seems a shame to burn them.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.