Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Thunderstorms
pizzadude
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 00:21

Big one on the way. Wind is blowing pretty good now, heavy blasts of light to the north. We're in for it.
Do you enjoy a good storm? Rather have it calmly rain? Or flashy, loud, windy and mean?
Some say they sleep better in a storm. I thought I did once upon a time, not so much anymore. I still love to see the fury of nature every now and then, but being alone deep in the woods surrounded by huge Norway's gets me wondering sometimes if a gust will be too much for one of them. Last thing I need is a busted roof!

Maybe this one be just another loud one. I'm about to find out. Better hunker down for now...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 09:00

I enjoy some wind. I have no dangerous trees at my home. I am however, a ham radio operator with loads of spendy radio gear, and antennas outside so we hams tend to not care much for electrical storms, but there is measures to reduce risk.

drb777
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 10:02 - Edited by: drb777

Where I live, we have lots of experience with sever weather. Especially in the spring when the air masses from the West clash with the warm & humid Southeast flow, huge thunderstorms and many times tornados sprout-up. But I never experienced such wide-spread destruction as the hail storms we had in 2010 and 2012. In May of '10, that one caused an estimated billion dollars of damage (yes, billion with a "B"), and then almost 2 years to the day later, another golf-to-baseball size hail storm with about half the destruction path as before. The roofing companies came in from several states away and stayed busy for almost 4 years straight. I'll never forget seeing several "life-time" Spainish-style tile roofs beaten-up so bad they looked like someone had battered them with a baseball bat. And so many auto windshields were shattered, that you couldn't get a replacement scheduled for 6-8 weeks out.
So I'm very much OK with a bit of strong wind, thunder and rain. But my pulse gets antsy when I see a large hail storm heading in my direction.

SandyR
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 21:26

We had a good one a few weeks ago. Tornado touched down a town over. It was very romantic. That was the week we were here together alone without the kids. It rained very hard and the wind blew terrible. We don't have any trees and the cabin sits up on a hill. You can barely see us from the road however.

Coastal
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 23:06

Woke up to a decent lightning storm this morning..
Different perspective at 3600'

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Aug 2015 01:13 - Edited by: MtnDon

Don't like thunderstorms all that much. Here at 8800 feet they always come with lightning. Lots of lightning.

upndown
# Posted: 14 Aug 2015 20:14

We get some real doosies during Monsoon season here in the southwest! Beautiful, but scarry at the same time. Lightning and a lack of rain is what started the Tragic Wildfire at my cabin a couple years ago. But I do love a good light show.

hattie
# Posted: 15 Aug 2015 12:19

Last night there was a lightening strike in the mountains behind us. Some quadders came to our place to alert us of the fire. I called the Forest Fire reporting office and our local volunteer fire chief. She called later to say the fire was in very steep terrain that was inaccessible. The weather prevented a helicopter going in with a bucket. After her call it rained and rained and rained. It was a solid heavy rain with no wind so we are hoping it put out the fire. It rained a very long time. Just heard a helicopter go overhead and Bob said it looked like it was landing near the ranch up there. I guess they are going to try to check on things. It has been so incredibly dry out here the rain was a blessing. I just don't like lightening strikes.

groingo
# Posted: 15 Aug 2015 22:07 - Edited by: groingo

Yesterday we had a nice one, high winds, then giant rain drops, the the deluge with giant rain and 1/4 inch hail, sheet and fork lighting with nice rolling thunder all lasted about an hour, few straggler thunder burps.....was really good to finally get the rain though, guess I'd call it a good squall!

paqcrewmama
# Posted: 16 Aug 2015 07:53

We had pretty bad storms here in SW NH yesterday. Middle son and I were coming in from Jaffrey to our cabin closer to VT border and the rain was so heavy that the roads were washing out, flash floods down both sides and then horrific wind and hail! Found open area to stop in a driveway as I was afraid of a tornado and a tree coming down on us. Glad to make it to the cabin all safe and sound (two mugs of Harpoon's Fruit Salad took the stress away).

Flying Wrench
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 14:57

The second time that I spent the night at my place (old pickup camper), a thunderstorm rolled in overnight. The thunder woke me up, and then I heard something that sounded like a train.

Then I heard a train whistle. It was hard getting back to sleep after that adrenaline rush.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.