Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Do electronic pest repellers work?
Flying Wrench
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 15:33

The last two times I visited my property, I found mice, and mouse nests. I don't want to use poison, since the mice will just crawl into the many crevices of the camper and stink. Next time I'm up there, I'll probably set up a bucket trap.

I have been thinking about getting a sonic pest repeller to supplement the bucket trap. I have two concerns though. I don't know if they even work, or work well enough to matter. The other is that I don't want to chase the deer away, which I think is a possibility, if they actually are effective.

On top of that, I don't have electricity out there, so if anyone has suggestions for one that works, it has to be battery powered.

creeky
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 15:39

no. they are banned in many places as it's been proven they don't work. save your money.

bucket trap with windshield washer or rad fluid seems to be the best method I've read about here.

Flying Wrench
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 17:09

Does the washer fluid help keep the smell down? I've only heard of using water in bucket traps.

creeky
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 17:52 - Edited by: creeky

yup. this info is from last springs posts on this topic.

ps. washer fluid is methyl alcohol so the bonuses are: they die quicker. as they are embalmed the stink is gone. careful with the disposal tho. you don't want to attract good guys like skunks, raptors etc and kill them also. best to take it home and flush down the toilet.

pss. i lovez me my skunks (except for one day in the early early spring last year; another story) and raptors. golden eagles are really coming back in my area. and last night I fell asleep to the hoo-hooo of an owl.

i would hate to kill off that experience for the sake of a mouse.

psss. my parents were out this summer for a bit and the skunk family came by (frog eating season); both couples got along just fine. funnily. my mom and mrs. skunk both like to tease their white hair. (you DID NOT hear that here).

treat 'em like family and they will reciprocate. after all. they have a better incentive than we do.

oh. and somebody bugged me. won't say who. that I sometimes use words that seem all fliffy flaffle. so a raptor is a hawk, eagle, bird of prey. but you'ze all know that.

Flying Wrench
# Posted: 6 Sep 2015 22:37

Cool, thanks for the info.

Borrego
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 20:13

Out at our desert place we have been using the sonic gopher repellers for 7 years now like this one. We leave it in the cabinet under the sink. I guess they don't dig the noise because we rarely see them. Doesn't say anything about mice but it works....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_297985_297985?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_so urce=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lawn%20%2B%20Garden%20%3E%20Pest%20Control&utm_campaign=P3 %20International&utm_content=168433&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=168433&gclid=CjwKEAiAi4a2B RCu_eXo3O_k3hUSJABmN9N1T9bWwaS9CmDgADzOqjnyLZ91tdNwzq2WxyMBQW0gWBoCL6Hw_wcB

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.