Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Here is my mouse control machine
neb
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:34 - Edited by: neb

I have a few bull snakes at the cabin. This is the first time I have seen them this summer but they are there and have seen them often. Last year had a 60 to 70 incher get very upset with me on the trial leading to the shack. I like them around and very glad to see my old friend again. LOL He is a 4 footer plus not a big one. I still have not seen a mouse or have catch one yet. This maybe why and I have a lot of critters that control the mice.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 21:23

pretty snake there Neb.....saw a big rattler in the road today on the way home from Camp.

neb
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 22:20

TH>>>are you still working on your cabin? Hunting season is here and suppose you doing some of that.

As far a snakes go I don't mind them I know many dislike them but I'm around rattle snakes al the time. This country has them all over I the hills. I have been hunting the badlands for a couple weeks and have to be aware of them. I wear snake guards anytime I the back country. In the fall snakes are more aggressive and it seems like they are out and about more.

creeky
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 13:44

here are my two favorites

skunk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk

weasel

these guys are my friends. i don't see the weasel as much as hear her. or him. i did see her this winter. so cool. all white with a little black tip of the tail.

and the skunks. so vain. all fluffy tails and elaborately groomed.
leastweasel.jpg
leastweasel.jpg

neb
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 14:09

Yes they both are natural predators of mice. I have both also where I'm at and I'm sure they get there share of rodents as well.

creeky
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 15:47

i don't get rattlesnakes. bit too far north.

neb
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 20:31

creeky>>>that is a good thing not having them. I'm careful in the back country but I can tell I have had a few close calls. They will warn you if you can hear them. Lol My hearing isn't good and mix that with wind Isn't a good mix.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 21:25

I used to have two ermine living under the cabin. They haven't been visible all summer so I hope they are still around. With the ermine around rodents have not been an issue.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 21:49

Quoting: neb
TH>>>are you still working on your cabin? Hunting season is here and suppose you doing some of that.

been riding my tractor last 2 weekends mowing trails/food plots plowed.....setting up tower stands/ building tower stands...etc.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Sep 2015 00:58

Some people swear by keeping king snakes around to keep out undesirables.

Here in West Texas, we have western diamondback rattlers. Awfully aggressive suckers. I'd rather have mice, frankly. (Thankfully, I have neither.) In Oregon where I'll be building my cabin, the only snake with toxic venom is the pacific rattler, from what I've read, and it's not nearly as aggressive as the western diamondback, thank goodness.

A couple of years ago, I began hearing some distinctive owl hoots at night. One near my house calling to another one in the distance. I went to the Audubon Society website, looked up owls and listened to the various calls. I had some great horned owls around! They hunt rodents AND snakes! GO OWLS!!!!

neb
# Posted: 23 Sep 2015 20:27

Julie2Oregon>>>yes owls are great to have around and will do the job. I also have them and they do a lot of good.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.