Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / I love Bambi, but...
rmak
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 14:58 - Edited by: rmak

I planted 78 trees last summer to reforest the field by my cabin. So far this fall, the deer have destroyed 8 of them and counting with their rutting. At least they don't discriminate. Two 7 foot willows, a real nice pin oak, a red maple, an 8 foot river birch and three cedars. There is no way I can fence all these trees, and I will be adding to them next summer. Any cheap quick fixes?

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 15:09

I wonder if you wrapped the trunks loosely with any kind of wire mesh, whether that would discourage them. Then you could remove the mesh when the trees grow up.

Topper
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 17:44

Maybe this Critter Gitter would work for you?

http://crittergittersensor.com/animalchart.shtml

Smawgunner
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 19:35

Use plastic drainage pipe. The thin stuff you can cut down the side with a utility knife. Wrap them with that!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 20:21

High powered rifle

rmak
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 21:48

Quoting: Salty Craig

High powered rifle

I got a Kalashnikov with a few banana clips, but I doubt if that would make a dent in the deer population around here

FishHog
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 22:10

Quoting: rmak
I got a Kalashnikov with a few banana clips, but I doubt if that would make a dent in the deer population around here

I'd be willing to help

AK Seabee
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 22:21

As soon as you get it figured out let me know. I plan on planting about twenty apple trees this spring. Moose and bunnies will be my biggest threat I think....

Salty Craig
# Posted: 26 Nov 2015 07:37

rmak
Baby steps. Deer are delicious.

rmak
# Posted: 26 Nov 2015 12:34

Quoting: Salty Craig

rmak Baby steps. Deer are delicious.

No argument there. Just can't see how killing a deer or two would save my trees. My neighbor hunts the property adjacent to ours and him and his buddies cull the herd every year. I am in my 60s and don't have the time to plant a bunch of seedlings. I'm spending $$ to get larger trees and busting my butt getting them planted. I'm hoping that my investment doesn't get ruined.

pizzadude
# Posted: 26 Nov 2015 12:50

Try applying some sort of scent to your trees to keep em off. Spray on deodorant or something...

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 26 Nov 2015 20:21

Go to a hunting store, green house or hydroponics store and you can get synthetic wolf, coyote, or other predator urine. Put that around your trees and they shan't be bothered.

rmak
# Posted: 26 Nov 2015 20:33

Thanks Gotta! I actually have some coyote urine. Someone suggested it here to stop the ground hogs from chewing the brick molding around my cabin door. It worked there, so I'm going to coyote pee every tree!

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 12:17

Glad I could be of assistance and hope it helps! You may want to reapply after heavy rain storms or every couple of months but it has worked for us in the past.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 13:05

rmak

Go to the barber shop and get a bag of hair clippings. I've heard that that helps. Haven't tried it.

Salty

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.