Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Saw another fisher on the cams
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 9 Apr 2016 23:14

Fishers are making their way back to Virginia... saw another one on the game cam. Compiled a video for my county's game warden at his request.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlkydip0s0

Jebediah
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 07:12 - Edited by: Jebediah

I enjoy these game cam moments. Why were the fishers on a decline in your area? In Nova Scotia the American marten is also making a comeback but it is due to the ministry's efforts in a breeding program. The breeding program had failed a few times over the years. The program has been a success over the last 7 or so years. They now have 30 breeding pairs in the wild, doesn't sound like many animals but they started with 3 pairs.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 08:31

I had read that the fishers were trapped for their furs along the Apalacian mountain range, to the point they were only in Canada and the most northern states.

So having them come back as far south as Virginia is great. Our department of game & wildlife are tracking sightings.. But they have not put together a breeding program to my knowledge.

Glad you enjoy the videos. That one was a short one.

Steve_S
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 08:37

Great to see the pic's, they are pretty shy critters generally. I dunno if you have kids anywhere around your place but if you do, make sure they know to keep well away from the Fishers. These animals are far from friendly, quite mean and vicious if they decide to be and can cause an awful LOT of hurt.

Just
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 09:38

DITTO to Steve , they are mean to the bone..

creeky
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 10:11

I quite like fishers. never had a problem. lucky to see them a few times. but they are weasels. and bigger than I imagined.

watch the small pets. one figured out cats were tasty. the neighbor lost all his barn cats pdq. had to call in a trapper.

hmmm. that makes me wonder if that's what got my local muskrat. had a huge old fellow pruning the emergent veg in the front field. the other day found parts of him. thought it might be coyotes, but now.

spoofer
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 10:59

Fishers are very common in NY State. They recently killed an 8 month old Black Lab that was sniffing around to close. Grabbed the pup by the snout, and I heard it was over quickly...

Steve_S
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 11:04 - Edited by: Steve_S

Creeky, I'd say the likelihood the Fisher got him is high. They also like chickens, rabbits and other smaller critters. I saw one take down a German Sheppard with no effort, went straight for the neck and flipped the dog like a toy... The dog got away with minimal injury cause a few of us ran screaming & yelling which freaked out the fisher. Never imagined that it would go after something that much bigger & a predator (the dog) to boot. But then Badger's will attack pretty much anything too so size don't matter much I guess.

1st Armaments OUCH

2nd Armaments Silce & Dice

old243
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 12:15

They will also prey on new born fawns, if they get a chance. A big Tom fisher , can be quite large.old243

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 11 Apr 2016 09:18 - Edited by: Gotta Gettaway

I've seen a couple of them on the side of the road in the past. Quite a wild coincidence that you post this saturday night. Literally saturday afternoon while walking my dog in trails in the woods in Beckwith area, we came around a bend in the trail and 50 yards ahead of us was a huge what I presume to be male Fisher. I had never seen one live like that let alone such a big one. At first glance I thought that was a big dog, but when it turned and saw us I realized it was a Fisher. I tried to get my camera our but it slinked off of the trail before I could get a shot. I picked my dog up right quick (border collie x sheltie) as she is small enough to be taken out quite easily. We made our way past the spot where it had been and I estimate it to be about 4 feet long, which my biologist friend says must have been a large male. I count myself very lucky to have been able to see one in the wild. Seeing something so rare and so large was a rush! Such interesting creatures!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.