Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / 17 year cicadas are here....run for your lives!
Smawgunner
# Posted: 22 May 2016 20:16 - Edited by: Smawgunner

Out in droves but not singing yet. Southeastern Ohio
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

buckybuck
# Posted: 22 May 2016 20:40

Thanks! I was at my cabin in Vinton County over the weekend and saw these all over the place; I wondered why I wasn't hearing any loud romancing. I hoped maybe it was already over with but apparently not. So they'll probably be starting Memorial Day weekend and keep it up for the next couple of weeks. Oh boy.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 May 2016 08:54

I went to O' Fallon Missouri decades ago and was there just in time to hear them, it was a once in a lifetime chance (getting an old car, ie a 46 Ford Business Coupe). I remember everything was so noisy, it reminded me of those electric line trimmers. Anywhere there was vegetation, there was this constant noise.

creeky
# Posted: 23 May 2016 09:30

Can't wait. The variety we get here has a high pitch steady call. It is the most beautiful single note of sound I've heard.

Folks around here sleep with their windows wide open while they are calling. It is sweet.

beachman
# Posted: 23 May 2016 11:07

I was at a wedding in Princeton, NJ. in 1970 and the cicadas were all over and the sound was amazing. Then, I happened to be in Virginia in 1987, 17 years later, and sure enough, the same clamour of cicadas. In OH, the cycle must be a bit different to be out in 2016. By my calculation, they should be out in 2021 on the East coast. Brought back a few memories.

buckybuck
# Posted: 23 May 2016 12:49

Sorry, Creeky, I find the cicada song about as pleasant to listen to as the leaf blower my suburban neighbor runs for no apparent reason every single day.

I watched a (to me) fascinating British documentary about math, and it used cicadas as a real world example of why prime numbers are so important. There are 13-year cicadas and 17-year cicadas, and because both 13 and 17 are prime numbers, there's only a handful of years in a 1,000 year period when the 13 and 17 year cycles coincide, ensuring that the 13-year cicadas and 17-year cicadas seldom pop out of the ground at the same time and inter-breed.

upndown
# Posted: 23 May 2016 13:15

Good fishing bait

SE Ohio
# Posted: 23 May 2016 17:53

Quoting: upndown
Good fishing bait

I was thinking the same thing! Water is warming up and fish should be hungry... Should take my canoe to the cabin for a bit o' fishin'.

Also saw my first cottonwood puff-ball seeds blowing around today, right after I had painted something (of course). Not really bait, but the carp go for the floating seeds. :offtopic

I've got holes in my front yard (Ohio) where cicadas have dug out, can hear a few singing in the distance.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 May 2016 08:48 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

When there is that much fishing bait, you will find fishing is no good. I love bass fishing (I only do catch and release only) and there was one year we had an epidemic of tent caterpillars, mainly in the leaf trees hanging over the water. The caterpillars would fall into the water. I go over to the edge of the lake like I always did to bass fish and they were already had their fill and wanted nothing to do with my bait. It was a horrible year for bass fishing.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 31 May 2016 11:15

They're thick in Vinton Co! My boys had a good time collecting their "skeletons" and playing with the newly emerged-not-quite-flying cicadas. Named them and everything!
Creepy crawlie
Creepy crawlie

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.