Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Fish Tales
. 1 . 2 . >>
Gary O
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 20:05

Anyone wanna swap lies about memorable fishing trips?
Been fishing since I was old enough to walk, but the sport still gets my blood goin'.
However, I need a jump start, as all the lines on my dust ridden rods are pretty much rotten.
My problem (according to Cabi3) is I'm too much of a purist, since I only go after salmonoid fish; trout, steelies, and salmon.
Anyone have bass fishing stories?
I'd love to read 'em
FINGERLINGS
FINGERLINGS

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 20:53

now your talking my language! I bass fish rarely ( too impatient for it) but I do sometimes. heres a pic of a nice one I caught in my homemade skiff on my local lake, I was using a chartreuse road runner jig. sorry, not much of a story i guess! haha

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 20:55

oops, heres the pic

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 21:27

Hey that's a fatty

Good eatin'?
Good fight?
What lb test?
Do they smoke?

Pardon my ignorance, but big or small mouth?

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 21:44

Pictures.......they're somewhere.
Never think about it much
Here's one of an 8 lb Steely hen taken off the Clackamas River.
Love stream fishing, 'cause it's more like hunting, and exploring. Even your favorite stream changes every season.

Gosh, I'm starting to feel the fever comin' on....there's only one cure, and that's a borax mix on fresh roe............
Clackamas Steelhead, taken too long ago
Clackamas Steelhead, taken too long ago

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 22:45

NathanP:
Dam(n) that's what they would call a lunker around here. I used to do a lot of smallmouth fishing in the Thousand Islands area of Lake Ontario back years ago. Unfortunately I lost my best fishing partner (my father in law) many years ago and with him went my desire to fish. My lil' fishin' boat hasn't had a wet hull in years, but I'll never get rid of it. There's always hope that ill get out on the water once again.
Nice bass!

larry
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 23:38

we need to restock but this one is about 6 years old and damn tasty.
0906091158b.jpg
0906091158b.jpg
1115081255.jpg
1115081255.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 01:27

i am a southern gal and coming up to the north and learning to fish here was something i felt sort of strange.I always used a bambo pole and minnow.always caught lots of fish...then i come up here and i am told to toss my line in some shallow waters...near rapids.sort of odd to me.anyway-it does work.One year Gary O and i went fishing at the river and i got a winter chinook.He kept yelling at me to play it and let it wear itself out.nope.not me.i hanked the fish on the shore and jumped on it to save it from flopping around and jumping back in the water.i can tell u i got the fish.it was so good.wish that would happen more often.

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 20:54

Quoting: larry
we need to restock

Larry?
You stocking/raising these brutes?!

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 21:08

Quoting: cabingal3
and jumped on it to save it from flopping around and jumping back in the water.

Yeah, that was a good one. I enjoyed that more than catching one myself. Thanks for that little story, Cabi3
As I recall, I had to reach over and tighten your drag, as it was stripping your line pretty fast, but you landed it with 8 lb test. Nicely done, my pet...and good hook set by the way.

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 22:29

My favorite fish has been the sea run cutthroat.
They fill the coastal streams here in the Pacific Northwest, and you really don't need much to go after 'em. Thus kids and grandkids can easily get involved.
This little voracious species will match fight (pound for pound) with any steelhead, and will leap outta the water and tail walk with the best of 'em. A little 12 incher will slam your bait with such vigor you'd think a summer steelie had taken it.
They are not a true 'sea run' as they just travel out to the estuaries, and the tides send 'em back.
They average 10-12", but can get up to a few pounds in our area. The bigger ones are commonly called 'Blue Backs'.
sea run cut
sea run cut
searuncutthroat.jp.jpg
searuncutthroat.jp.jpg
cut.jpg
cut.jpg

manny
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 09:51

a few little brookies caught near my camp.
63650009.jpg
63650009.jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 11:18

Thanks for posting, manny.
A day well spent

Just
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 11:40

walleye taste better through the ice. they tast wow !!
going to try at 4 pm tonight ..nice day hear only -2 c
canada braggin !!!

Just
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 11:50

ups forgot the proof
old pic they'r not bitten
old pic they'r not bitten

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 12:25

Quoting: Just
walleye taste better through the ice

So, is that sawing a hole and plopping a shack on it, or toughing it out in the open?

manny
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 12:27

Your rught there Just. hard to beat a shore lunch of eyes and a few fried tatters.

Just
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 13:42

i like to sit outside but when it gets very cold i have a 42in x 6 ft "cabin" what else!!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 15:19

So, angler friends of mine say Walleye tastes w-a-y better than any trout.
Is that right?
Fried, baked, over a fire?

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 17:00

For anybody down south ( and maybe other areas too?) the white bass are getting ready to start there spawning run any day now! this is my favorite time of year to fish, when you can target them in creeks and streams that feed the main lakes. I will try to provide as many pics as I can in the next couple months to come

Just
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 19:25

Quoting: Gary O
Is that right

any way realy', but i like mine coated in seasond bread crums and fried in butter .no mater they were not bitting tonight!!!!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Feb 2011 19:37

Quoting: Just
were not bitting tonight

worst day of fishing still better than the best day of working

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Feb 2011 22:39 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: nathanprincipe
For anybody down south

Yeah, the wife and her sis have told me stories about fishing down south. I just can't imagine getting too comfy, what with worrying about gators and moccasins.
I think they're playing with my mind when they talk about what they've caught, and all on a bamboo pole.....
goggle eye
goggle eye
mossy body
mossy body
lord knows
lord knows

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 8 Feb 2011 21:51

Ive never seen a gator yet although I know they are in the river systems and lakes I fish ( but its nothing like Louisiana). I went to my local creek and yesterday and managed 20 white bass ( sandbass) with 10 being keepers that came home with me and made for nice fish tacos tonight! I gotta get a usb cord for my new phone before I can post any pics tho............Ohh and "goggle eyes" are something different then the pic you posted, they are in the sunfish family along with bluegill, long ears, etc. they are also called "rock bass" or "War mouth"

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 8 Feb 2011 21:52

ohh and you get used to the snakes too, this time of year theyre not out anyways

Gary O
# Posted: 8 Feb 2011 22:18

"goggle eyes" are something different then the pic you posted

Yeah, I know, just puttin' a yankee dig in to my southern belle and sis

ohh and you get used to the snakes too

Not I
Nevah
Gettin' the creepy shudders just thinking about 'em.
All snakes give me the yips, but moccasins are just plain evil ugly.
Even a dry bite from one of them would kill me.
Oh-h-h-h-h o-h-h-h brbrbrbr

Jerry
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 11:11

Gary,

I've got a lot of "tales" like the time we went out for miles on Lake Michigan at 4 AM fishing for salmon. On the first fish I extended the handle of the two piece landing net, but didn't get the little spring loaded button engaged, and when I netted the fish it shook the hook and pulled the net end off as it swam away!!! Doesn't make for a good start of the day.

My best memory was when three of us landed a 78# sturgeon on about 30 yards of rotten 6# mono by following it up and down the river in a 12' John boat half full of water from the nights torrential rains. When we finally got it close to the boat, one of us scooped the head in a small landing net, the middle guy reached around the belly, and I in the stern put a loop of anchor rope around the tail, and we all lifted on 3. Once we got it in and it found the water in the boat, all hell broke lose!!!

My buddy who I was with died shortly after that so that's a special memory of mine.

I don't fish as much anymore. Have a good day.

Jerry

Anonymous
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 18:28

I guess my favorite fishing trip was when my husband and I were dating he had a friend who was not all that bright He had been injured as a child so he was a little slow but was a hoot to hang with. We took him fishing one time and he had never been so when he got his first bite he wasn't quiet sure how to reel it in and he was so excited he just started running down the dam and towards us yelling I got one I got one Here he came rod in hand and the poor fish bouncing behind him. We laughed so hard but its a tale we continue to tell over and over

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 09:27

Jerry/Any Mouse-

Thanks for these tales. That's what fishing is all about.

...and Jer, fill that empty seat in your John boat with with a youngster......it'll be good for the both of you.........
and your stories are hilarious!

Keep yer lines tight

Gary O'

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 09:31

...oh, and Jerry, a little WD-40 on that spring button before next trip....

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.