Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Planting American Chestnut Hybrids
jvgo
# Posted: 25 Mar 2020 18:36

Hello All,

The Chestnut blight of the early 1900's wiped out all of the native American Chestnut trees on my cabin property in NW Pennsylvania. They once reigned as a dominant tree specie in the area providing wildlife food and timber. The mature trees grew to 60-100 ft. tall.
As a teenager in the 1960's dead chestnut snags could still be seen in the local woods. I have nursed a chestnut tree sprout that just sprang up off of the old underground roots on its own until last year when it died of the blight after 7 years of strong growth.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience planting the hybrid varieties of American Chestnut? I see that there are a few suppliers online stating they have blight resistant stock. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

waldenite
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 08:15 - Edited by: waldenite

I really want to try this myself, and know there are some test groves around the Northeast.
Check out ESF.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 08:28

Some Walmart stores get the hybrid ones here in a few months.

This company does it. I found arrival dates to stores by location once but can't find that part of the site at the moment.
https://chestnuthilloutdoors.com

jvgo
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 11:10

Thank you Waldenite an Brettny for the info!

I will be keeping an eye out for any appearing at Walmart stores. So far the Pennsyslvania Walmarts in my area have only bags of mulch and soil etc. in their garden centers. No trees or plants yet.

I just ordered 4 seedlings online from a Nursery in Wisconsin. They state their stock are from original trees that survived the blight and have some blight resistance. Their cost was affordable enough for me to experiment with planting a few on my cabin property.

Ebay sellers are offering seeds claiming to be hybrids also. I planted 12 seeds from a tree in Indiana yesterday in peat pots. I bought them from ebay last November and kept them refrigerated over the winter.

I would really love to see these trees flourish! Thanks

Fanman
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 16:25

I've thought about it myself. My cabin in NY, and all the others in the area, were built during of native chestnut the late 1920s and 30s "salvage logging" when (shortsightedly) even the healthy chestnuts were all cut down.

When I was a kid (around 1970) there was a chestnut stump near the path to my cabin that kept trying to put out branches before they succumbed, but it's long gone now. There are rumors that there is still a healthy chestnut in the woods somewhere nearby, but if true, I haven't found it yet.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Mar 2020 16:27

Keep us up to date on the Ebay seeds please.

I would like some trees at our property and home..both in NY.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.