Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Identifying plants
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 10 Apr 2020 11:30

One of the things that I like to do at our cabin is learning to identify the plants and how to use them. As a food source and medicinal purposes. I enjoy being at out cabin when I’m just by myself and have gone out for a two month period before. Btw that was fantastic!!!!! Got that one off the bucket list. Go hang out in the middle of nowhere Ak surrounded by mountains n moose n bears both colors. The wolves are common, and the serenity endless. Cell service is one of those things where my beautiful wife will say , can’t hear you, and I move an inch to the left to make it work . Sometimes. Mostly just write a text and set the stupid phone on the windowsill and wait for a satellite to go by. I guess. Which is perfect in my mind.
There are different plants around like moss that can be used to stop bleeding and it contains iodine. And readily available. I’ve used alder bush leaves scruffed up and rubbed on skin as a bug repellent and then there are all the different fire starting plants , trees. Flints to start fires and all the different food sources and tinctures for health care.
My beautiful wife is into plants also so it’s something we do together although she is the expert. I remember when our kids were small. All we had was a 185 Suzuki 3 wheeler. I made a trailer from a snowblower frame, wheels. Me n beautiful wife doubled up on the wheeler and two kids in the trailer heading out across the muskeg n trails. Collecting specimens and eating berries along the way. Miles from any road n no crappy phone service either. And we survived !
Learning to identify the plants around me and how to use them has been very enjoyable for me and gives our cabin life a huge opportunity for enjoyment. I’m glad that my folks got me into gardening as a kid and married a beautiful lady who shares that passion.
And kinda nice to be able to sit down in the woods while out n about. And be able to identify the plants around me and in case of emergency at least have a clue as what is available and how to use it in case of emergency. Kinda just realized that I’m glad I have those skills in times like today. Who knows what could happen when the prescription drug industry is interrupted.
Anyhow kinda rambed on . I own it. But thought this is an interesting subject and hasn’t been visited much.

FishHog
# Posted: 10 Apr 2020 14:37

I'm not plant expert, but have used this app to identify ones of interest around my cabin.
https://www.picturethisai.com/

You are limited by the number of times you can use it on the free trial, but it is pretty impressive. Click a pic and (if you have cell access) it will identify the plant with a % confidence factor and give you the next best matches with pictures so you can compare to what you have.

I find very handy.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 23 Jun 2020 08:33

Quoting: FishHog
You are limited by the number of times you can use it on the free trial, but it is pretty impressive.

I use Google Lens for this purpose. I've had good results and it is free and unlimited. You can use it right from the Google App on your phone.

FishHog
# Posted: 23 Jun 2020 08:47

I'll give that a try. Thanks Kel

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 29 Jun 2020 14:22

Quoting: KelVarnsen

I use Google Lens for this purpose. I've had good results and it is free and unlimited. You can use it right from the Google App on your phone.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out the trees on our new property and will give this a shot.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.