Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Help! - Ontario Cottage Garden Ideas
Barrys Bay
# Posted: 7 Apr 2011 09:20

Hi all,

This will be my first year to start a garden up at the cabin. Zone 3b-4a, Ontario. We are in Renfrew county, north of Bancroft.

What do you grow? How do you start? I've dabbled with gardening in the city, including heirloom tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets that turned out pretty well. But I was there every day to tend to them.

I need low manintenance, sun-loving veggies, and flowers that have worked well for you. I'll be up maybe for a whole month during July so I can tend to the garden well dring that time. I have sandy soil at the front of my lot, and also forest soil towards the back (rich with composted leaves). Will I still have to add anything to this forest soil to make things grow? What do you folks recommend?

Just
# Posted: 7 Apr 2011 10:19

my advice is keep it small I made my first cabin garden the big and much of the produce went to waste !!
I now plant __
onions lettus tomatoes peppers peas green and yellow beans and some hearbs
As far as flowers go i like sunflowers they seem to greet me when we come in the lane.
as for your soil It never hurts to add a little 7.7. 7 fertilizer
garden should be in full sun, high and dry soil.
"just" a farm boy from southwestern ont.

Barrys Bay
# Posted: 7 Apr 2011 12:12

How do you keep the deer and rabbits away? I'm thinking 4x4's with chicken wire.

Just
# Posted: 7 Apr 2011 16:16

3 ft chicken wire worked for both . we dident think of that till the second planting way the think ahead!!!we used 1,,50 ft roll for the whole garden .we also had fruit trees and berry bushes and rubarb!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.