Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / What a mess!!
TWilliams
# Posted: 18 May 2011 13:14

So we ordered a dump truck load of gravel for our lot. we needed to smooth out the driveway and use some of it for our post and pier foundations. When the truck arrived ( we were not there at the time) he sank 3 feet into the ground.. so my load of gravel went to feed the hole!
We scoured the area for as many big rocks as we could to fill the hole as much as we could. Then we had a friend come with his toy to fill in the hole, but he ended up stuck too..
We have another load of gravel coming once the ground has had a chance to dry out.
DSCF1243.JPG
DSCF1243.JPG
DSCF1254_2.JPG
DSCF1254_2.JPG
DSCF1256_2.JPG
DSCF1256_2.JPG

bobrok
# Posted: 18 May 2011 13:45

That's awful and I'm sorry you have to go through it. One would think that an experienced driver would realize the condition of the drive vs. the weight of the vehicle and make adjustments, including perhaps a delay of delivery until the ground dried up.
I hope you aren't stuck with the extra costs or towing, additional gravel load, etc.

I learned a long time ago...never leave a contractor alone on the job if you want it done right. You'd think that at least they could drop a load w/o problems.

Hope it all gets fixed soon.

bugs
# Posted: 18 May 2011 15:30

TW

You have my sympathy. That trucker should have never been near your place until it dried up.

We had a similar problem dealing with 100 yards of gravel. Thankfully our guy did not push his luck with the first 20 yard semi load so he only made 18 inch ruts at our entrance which were easily fixed. He waited almost 2 months before it was dry enough and he finally delivered the rest and spread it with a loader. Even so we had some ruts from the loader to deal with but nothing serious.

Hope your get your place graveled soon. Mud is just no fun to slide around in all day.

Gary O
# Posted: 18 May 2011 20:27

Hey TW

Very nice blog on your other thread

Been thru some road woes myself.
Is that drive of any length, a possible well-worn trail turned lane?
Even though the trucker should have known better, it might be a bit of a blessing at the outset.
You might look at getting some sub road (large crushed rock) for a good future base.
If in rain country, or at least rainy seasons, you'd want to grade a crown beforehand though.

Just my thoughts
Happy trails

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.