Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Small Cabin Builders - SW Wisconsin
DeanH
# Posted: 29 Jan 2022 15:22

Any recommendations for builders in SW Wisconsin? Anybody heard of Hillcrest Log Cabins?

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Jan 2022 21:40

Where are you looking at building, Im more than a little familiar with sw WI. There is some great country over there.

DeanH
# Posted: 29 Jan 2022 22:39

I really like the whole Driftless area but have only been down there a few times. What areas are you favorite or what would you recommend for a small cabin?

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Jan 2022 14:47 - Edited by: gcrank1

Anywhere south of I-90 and west of I-39/51, or along the Mississippi is country I like, but that is generally speaking, there a special pockets of splendid country elsewhere.
We did a lot mini road-trips (took years) looking at country, making a short list of what what features were necessary and what somewhat negotiable. The list kept getting longer..... It was extremely important to us that the 'setting' be right, not just the property itself but the neighbors, distance away from airports, major highways, open-pit mines, and even big farm operations, etc. We also wanted a community that was 'cabin/cottage friendly'. We found ourselves returning to a few areas over and over; that became a hint.
Cabin size? Small is why you are here or is it because we are all so friendly? Lol
If just you and maybe one other anything from 12x12 on up will do. Even starting with a pre-built shed from one of the many places that make them can be a start by adding the right door and some windows. When you 'outgrow' that it will make a fine storage shed, workshop or guest cottage when you build the 'real cabin'.
We had a prev self designed/built in 1983-84, 12x24 with a 12x12 loft. We also had lots of experience motorcycle touring and camping, some backpacking, some years of small rv'ing, and historical/traditional canvas tent camping so living in small spaces was something we were used to. If you dont have any of that for perspective pick a room about the size you think you could 'live in' and just do that for a week.
We didnt require a cabin on our 'new' property, just lucked out. We were ready to build a floating deck to put a wall tent on, or go the pre-built storage shed route.
Btw, if you think solar might be what you want to do be sure the site has 'the right sun exposure all day long' where the cabin will go.

DeanH
# Posted: 30 Jan 2022 15:47 - Edited by: DeanH

Thanks gcrank!! A lot of great info to digest. Just me…. My kids are grown. I really like the idea of starting with the shed idea first! Hadn’t considered that but really simple and basic. Just hire the concrete (slab) and I’ll do the rest. Brilliant idea!!👏 I mean, who doesn’t love living with the their tools and tractor. LOL

As I was planning it out was thinking about 24x 30 cabin w loft(I know, overkill), 2 car garage and storage/workshop shed.

The area you are describing is where I’m looking. Prices are very crazy right now though. 😂

DeanH
# Posted: 30 Jan 2022 16:53

Oh, forgot to add…. Solar w generator backup, compost toilet, water catchment system, wood stove, propane range/oven and propane frig. Maybe some chickens, goats and bees. And garden ….

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Jan 2022 17:17 - Edited by: gcrank1

You might want to look for a small 'homestead' place that needs love?
All good ideas, btw. We are 70ish, got this current, and our last, cabin, 16x24 on 9+ acres about 2 yrs ago. Its basically a square of 'rolling' land, formerly Oak Barrens, open meadow up the middle surrounded by mixed trees.
All offgrid, rainbarrel for utility (pick up potable at an artesian well enroute), 2kW inv./gen for big stuff and small scale solar for small elec (led lights, fans, radio, dvd/tv, usb and tool chargers). Lp for furnace and stove. Lots of reasons we dont have wood heat; drafting, no class A stack, insurance and COPD.
All that to say The Place Works! There are tons of info on this site for you
Garden? No....even if we lived there full time keeping the deer out would be a losing battle. Hit the Farmer's Markets for what you want.
Ps: originally we had said a min of 5 ac., this one came with the 9+ and now we wouldnt want less. It has some elbow room (cabin is about center), enough to take a decent walk of a day around the perimeter, etc.

DeanH
# Posted: 30 Jan 2022 18:39

Do you use inverter for refrigerator? I’m thinking about powering frig with solar and generator as backup.

Yea, my original plan was min. 10 acres but inventory is low and prices are very high. Just checked 10+acres is going for over $100K in the area. 😭

Planning a hoop house for garden but a traditional garden is no good as the critters will eat you alive. But might rethink that and go with Farmer’s market (which I do now). 😉

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Jan 2022 19:44

We are Wisconsinites, live in south central and the cabin is 45 min. north. We have traveled in the sw corner area a lot. It seems about every community has farmer's markets and always somebody who sells quarters and up of butcher critters. Most of the local cultures are easy-going, Spring Green is kind of an artists community, New Glarus was settled by Swiss immigrants in the 1800s, all to say that there is plenty going on and stuff to learn and do. Ive found it isnt difficult to fit in and be accepted.
You might consider a 'property finder/locator'; ie, a person who works representing you (a real estate agent rep's the seller) who gets their fee split with the agent if they find you a place you buy. You need your criteria established and understood ! And ready financing and/or 'cash'.
I hear ya on the pricing, we found the same thing and it has likely become worse....and not likely to get better. Buy bare land you will have to permit for well, septic, elec, driveway and whatever structure(s). We factored that after buying the land we were broke if we had to start from scratch.
Then magic happened and we heard about a distressed property with an out of state anxious seller within 1 day of it going on the market and within our price range; we had cash and ready to sign for it 'as is', no contingencies, no owner clean-up.
Stuff like that still happens, but not with 'prime' properties and you have to be like a rattlesnake; ready to strike.

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Jan 2022 20:01

I do invert my nominal '12v' battery power to 120, no 12v any more. Lots of details and discussion in past threads here and an overwhelming amount on diysolarforum.com. Too much for here right now; suffice to say 'it aint cheap or simple' if you want to run stuff like a fridge.
I'll suggest you plan on a small 'cabin' (if you dont find a prop with one), place it to optimize solar if/when you go that way, but wire and run it simply with the gen, an ac battery charger and battery for a good while to establish what you are doing.
As to 'food care', we have found that a 'Yeti-Clone' good sized cooler (got it at Walmart, way less $) run properly does us very well for daayyys. I pack it with ice-bottles made at home.

DeanH
# Posted: 30 Jan 2022 20:11 - Edited by: DeanH

I’m interested in a property finder / locator.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.