Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Land Measurement
paulz
# Posted: 4 Jun 2022 22:31

Land on property maps is measured as flat ground right? So if I measure with a tape, and one end is substantially higher or lower, my measurement will be longer that what's stated on the map. Correct?

In other words, if the map says 4, but elevation goes up 3, 5 would be the correct measurement?

razmichael
# Posted: 5 Jun 2022 07:15

Square of the hypotenuse= sum of the square of the other two sides. What you are saying is technically true if you are measuring the surface area or 3d distance, however, in most real life circumstances the difference is not great when it comes to measuring distance over a larger range. Example: with a 100m map distance (horizontal) and a grade of 15% (which is a pretty good grade), the difference is only just over 1m for the 3d distance (hypotenuse). Obviously cliffs or near cliffs make a much bigger difference but these don't really have much impact from a map measuring distance when talking about property maps.
Many sport tracking watches have an option to measure running/hiking distance in 3D as it can make some difference in distance travelled especially over a longer trail (10, 20, 30 kms) with lots of steep up and down parts.

paulz
# Posted: 5 Jun 2022 08:51

Thanks. My map says 430 ft., rise is 125, so my measurement should be 448, assuming I can pull a straight line.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Jun 2022 16:53

I ran a 1/4' rope from low to high elevation, 400ft and pulled it tight as I could, might be another foot or two if I winched it. But I would like to know better the elevation change. I tried an elevation app but it's not working, I guess the trees mess it up. My friend said it's 125 ft, awhile ago, but he was using a phone app too. Trying to come up with another method.
20220607_082626.jpg
20220607_082626.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Jun 2022 22:18

You run it in 'steps' using a builders level and mark pole.
Simple version is a cheap laser level.
Two people and it goes pretty quick but you both need to be fit enough for the climb.
Take notes, dont count on memory as you go.

jsahara24
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 08:46

In PA we have free state topography (LIDAR) that we can download and bring into CAD, if that's the case where you live I would be happy to help you with it.

Another approach is to use google earth, which will give you an elevation at any location. This will get you pretty close.

There are also USGS topo maps, but they are 20' contours so not as accurate.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 11:06 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks guys, I think I got it. Last night I walked the hill up and back with the cell phone app while watching the readings change. They flipped around again some, because of the trees I take it, but I got enough constant readings to feel confident in the result, and it was right around 125 ft. as my pal got a few years ago.

Reason I was curious is I have a shed located close to a boundary. Nothing of concern, nor anyone concerned about it. Oddly, the rope I pulled measured 433 ft., almost the same as the 430 on the parcel map, so with the elevation factored in it should be well on my property.

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 12:13

I have found similar when I went looking for the long lost corners on both my properties. I had copies of the last certified surveys (avail cheap at the county land office). By using the most obvious marker and working off it I came remarkably close by just doing sensible work.
The cabin property is 9+ ac, pretty much square, with some 630ish ft on a side. And it isnt an open field, I had to do some bushwacking.
I came within 10' of the 'lost' nw corner marker just using a field compass and a 100' tape; got to the measured distance, stood there looking around and there it was looking back at me
It was fun work. Only took a little research on how to read a survey map and decipher 'their code'; think they want it to be their special language.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 12:48

That brings up another thing.. The online parcel map shows what I think is a marker, in the road. It's not there, paved over probably a long time ago. So is the 433 ft. measured from that little circle in the pic, or from the line at the side of the road? The dashed lines measures the 297 ft. length for sure. A matter of maybe 5-10ft. from that circle to the side of the road where the solid line runs.

I did go to the county years ago and looked at nearby surveys, nothing relevant to my area.
Screenshot_2022060.png
Screenshot_2022060.png

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 14:14 - Edited by: gcrank1

Around here the right-of-way is x ft from the centerline of the road. My surveys show both measurements, from centerline and from the r-o-w.
One thing to be aware of is the 'declination'. Magnetic north and true north are not the same and over time Magnetic North changes! The amount of shift can be considerable if a piece of land is big and it has been a long time since your survey in hand was done.
New Surveys are supposed to re-establish the markers and property lines, NOT establish 'new corners and lines'. This is why I considered it important to find my markers according to the last certified survey done; I can make my case with certainty that my ground matches the survey. It isnt an issue with my current neighbors, but a sale to some stranger it could be (and has, there are horror stories online of new owners paying for a 'survey' that doesnt match the 'old lines').
You come home and find new markers and once done you cant remove the new disputed markers! The legal hassle will be expensive.
Know Your Ground!

jsahara24
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 15:54

What is the dashed line?

The 433' would be from the solid line, which appears to be the ROW but I don't have a big enough picture to confirm.

jsahara24
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 16:00

Here is one of the "pins" I found when locating my property lines....You can always defer to your deed description to see what "should" be at your corners...... Back in the day it was a rock, tree, etc...Good times
stone_pine.jpg
stone_pine.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 20:44

Another pic from the county map. The dashed line runs down the street, then across that small parcel I also own. There is another circle on my lot upper right, that I guess is a marker. I have searched for it several times, it's thick in blackberry bushes in that spot, thorns everywhere, and had no luck. I think my deed does make mention of that marker.
Screenshot_2022060.png
Screenshot_2022060.png

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.