- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Building regulations, permits
<< . 1 . 2 .
westernrider4
# Posted: 17 Jul 2012 20:25

Thank you so much!

bobbotron
# Posted: 19 Jul 2012 15:51

Definitely take everything you read here with a huge grain of salt, we're not your building dept!

Your BEST bet is to ask your building inspectors, and be persistent. If you don't understand what they're saying, go in for a meeting, get it in writing, etc. You have to keep on them, and eventually you'll get through it, or be told no, and you'll have to revise your plans.

My girlfriend is extremely tenacious with details, and was able to get the details out of our inspector after many emails and phone calls. You've gotta stick to them. (Not adversarially, but the onus is on you to get all of the info you need out of them.)

tooold
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 23:26

Last year I purchased lake front land in eastern Ontario and recently received my building permit for a 800 sq ft cabin. By going through this process I ran into a few unique problems. Since my land is remote, I first wanted to build a small 10x10 shed to use as a bunkie and store tools. I was informed by the local building department that 1) I was not allowed to build the shed until the main structure was completed 2) you cannot use a shed to sleep in. 3) bunkies cannot have plumbed water

Of course I also had to follow all rules regarding setbacks etc... but the fact I could not even build the shed until the main structure was completed is a great inconvenience. This past summer I started building a dock and stairs. The experience of daily hauling my tools and supplies on and off the boat was a nightmare.

Fortunately, my inspector is a great guy, and he told me to start my footings for the cottage and shed at the same time. Once he inspects the footings, I will not see him again until the framing is complete and who could say which was built first.

Finally, if your land cannot fit a septic system; try looking into a leaching pit for your grey water and a composting toilet.

Good luck

Rossman
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 09:34

Quoting: tooold
1) I was not allowed to build the shed until the main structure was completed 2) you cannot use a shed to sleep in. 3) bunkies cannot have plumbed water

Yeah, that's exactly it. Seems that in *most* (but not all) municipalities in Ontario, you cannot build the "no-permit" 108sq.ft. structure UNLESS an existing single family dwelling already exists.

Feel a lot of people here just see that they don't need a permit for < 108sq.ft. and do not read any farther.

The only way you can find out for sure is to get the zoning plan/documentation from your municipality.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 13:20

Agreed, Rossman. Cabinbuilder and a few other "Ontarians" said it best...check the bylaws yourself, esp. about the "108 sq. ft no-permit structure" and know how your property is zoned. There is a reason they allude to the 108 sf structure as "an accessory building". It usually means that you can only build it if there is already a cottage, home or cabin on the property. But if your zoning is different, they may let you get away with a stand alone shed...now how you utilize that shed is up to you.
I've had property around Lindsay Ontario, sold it and now have a bunkie up on the Bruce...things can change somewhat as you move around our province.
I also found that becoming friends with local contractors / builders can give you invaluable information...information you may not get from the Bylaw Dept. unless you ask the exact right questions.

bobbotron
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 13:23 - Edited by: bobbotron

Another thought, if you're worried about storing stuff on your land before you have a shed/cabin up there, you could build a locked storage box. It's cheap enough to build in the grand scheme of things, pretty handy, keeps honest people honest and gives your hammers and saws a place to live.

I've built one, about 3'x4'x4'. I think a building inspector would be hard pressed to give you a hard time about something like that.

Edit: I should say, I put mine on a "foundation" of cinderblocks to get it off the ground. It's kinda built like a mini shed, with a framed floor and walls, plywood top.

Rossman
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 13:37

bushbunkie - good call.

I too have found my building inspector to be helpful, but only if I ask very specific questions. They do not seem capable of volunteering helpful information, it's a little frustrating.

I assume this is because they typically deal with builders who already know all the rules, etc, so they don't really know how to talk to normal humans.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 15:12

The more "citified" the location, the more the inspector is likely to just inspect and pass or fail, IMO and experience. Having lived in one place for 29 years now I have seen a huge change as the area grew from an few streets and one traffic nlight to 75000 people. The first inspector was folksy, helpful, good natured almost to a fault... he liked to sit and chat. Now there is an inspector for each specialty and they rush about and give at best short terse explanations with the red tags.

The people in the bldg office are more helpful. They will at least markup the drawings sent for approval with simple changes that need to be made for approval. And they answer simple requests as to frost depth, snow load and the like. But they are not going to explain why the tall wall of windows won't pass without an engineer. "It doesn't meet code" is about all you can expect in cases like that.

cabindreams
# Posted: 23 Aug 2013 09:45

We have recently purchased a piece of property in South Eastern Ontario. We are in the process of applying for a minor variance, due to the steepness of the lot. There is presently a trailer on the property, and an outhouse. We are unsure of the process needed to get a building permit, hydro, etc. Our plan is to build the stairs to the waterfront, and dock first, and then tackle the cabin. Some information regarding upcoming costs and requirements for permits, septic system, hydro etc. We are looking at approx. 700 sq. foot cabin.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Aug 2013 19:30

Quoting: tooold
but the fact I could not even build the shed until the main structure was completed is a great inconvenience.

Make it a temporary structure, somewhat pre-fab it, then promised the inspector, it comes down when the cabin is finished. Then can be re-used as a storage and set back up later and be in compliance. The temp structure would be used to store tools during the building process. Other option would be a 10 foot container, secure, reasonable and not a building.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.