Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Website to find friendly building areas
Project Mayhem78
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 08:50

I am looking to build a small offgrid cabin (140sq ft) in Wisconsin. At the moment it is difficult searching every towns building codes to see if they allow building a shed without a existing home.

Is there a website where this information resides?

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 10:01 - Edited by: gcrank1

Im a lifelong resident of WI, built our 1st off-grid cabin in '83-84, never have seen or heard of 'a list' like that.
Fwiw, in our current township they dont 'regulate' deer stands or ice shantys. Hunting and/or fishing shacks seem to get a pretty good pass....dont have plumbing! That opens you to 'complications'.
Imo you need to find ground you really like, no sense 'building' in an area you dont like, and find out what you have to do.

Project Mayhem78
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 11:34 - Edited by: Project Mayhem78

it sounds like i am ok if the property has an old pre 1997 building, but if I want to build new I am SOL.

https://dsps.wi.gov/Documents/Programs/UDC/PrimitiveRuralHuntingCabin.pdf

I really dont want something big, I want something small and simple, Less bills, less maintenance. My family had a 1000sqft manufactured home with utilitys and it was constant maintenance, septic problems, well problems...ect ect.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 15:07

Quoting: gcrank1
Imo you need to find ground you really like, no sense 'building' in an area you dont like, and find out what you have to do.

Absolutely! Find a place you love and then see if you can adapt to the rules that may be in place.

spencerin
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 23:44

Doubtful such a website exists as it's not a small amount of info to compile, which is also often changing, and there might even be a liability associated with posting incorrect info.

Easiest way would be to call each county you're interested in and ask.....

Project Mayhem78
# Posted: 19 Sep 2023 07:25

I just thought maybe there was a list or something that exists.

I want to be legal, and some of the areas I look at I saw real estate listings for small hunting shacks and even some tiny homes, yet the local laws say they are not legal (Im not a lawyer, so its possible I am not interpreting the laws correctly or there is exemptions)

I will continue to do research while I design my cabin.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Sep 2023 12:03

Some places are 'grandfathered in' and some communities that have more than a little cottage and cabin folks (that do pay property taxes) can be lenient on enforcement.
Our place is like that, but going forward after the buy a few years ago Ive been getting permits and 'being a good member of the community'. Once the powers that be find someone skirting or flaunting the regs they keep their eyes on ya.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.