Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / British Columbia: building large garage to live in to avoid permit costs etc
carcrossguy
# Posted: 8 Oct 2011 20:03

I was wondering if this was a strategy to avoid high costs of septic fields etc . For example, there is a 5 acre property for sale with only a 816 sq ft garage. There used to be mobile homes but they are totally destroyed and the well is exhausted also. There is a lagoon but for the old mobile. The people were living in the garage and have partioned it etc It could simply be that they had planned to build a house and ran out of money. Not sure how expensive it would be to officially convert the garage into livin quarters. Im guessing you would have to put in a well.

hattie
# Posted: 8 Oct 2011 23:39

I live in BC and I wouldn't suggest trying to sneak anything through. The building departments in this province are pretty strict and they send out inspectors pretty regularly (at least in our neck of the woods).

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 9 Oct 2011 00:16

Or they may have been evicted for living in a building that was not permited as a living area?

carcrossguy
# Posted: 9 Oct 2011 12:03

There is a large relatively new work trailer(on wheels) parked on the property right by where they were living. They say it is a friends.

There is another property for sale with a new small house with no well or septic. Realtor says they use outhouse. the building is only 400 sq ft. neither of these properties is outside a municipality jurisdiction.

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 16:33

I was looking at a property near Bend and I called the local building inspector to confirm that if I built a place less than 10 sq m it wouldn't require a permit. He said that was technically true and then continued to tell me to do what I wanted because he wasn't ever going to go out there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.