Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Building a bunkie in Northern Ontario
Ilikewhiskey
# Posted: 27 Oct 2011 23:45

Hello all,

Great website, and plenty of excellent information to be found here.

I have purchased 7 acres of relatively flat waterfront property, and am anticipating building a small cabin in the spring.
This property is about 4 hours from Toronto.
I have enquired about building a 100 sq ft cabin without a permit, and was told I could in fact build without a permit. Sweet!!
Next I was curious about how many I could build, and this is the response I received :

It would depend on the use of the structure and the zoning of the property. For example if this is a waterfront residential it allows you to have one main dwelling, one sleep cabin max. of 46.5 square metres ( no kitchen) and a total of not more then 10% of building of the property. (A shed, garage, sauna ...) So if you are planning on building two cabin, one would be considered the main and the other a sleep cabin. Should you decided in the future to build a larger cottage then one of these will have to be removed or change the use (shed...)

So, what I am trying to ascertain is, does this mean I can build a
46sq m ( 495sq ft ) cabin, and have another at no larger than 100 sq ft ??

I have emailed the person once again, hopefully response will come soon.

In the meantime, does anybody here have any thoughts on the above ?

Thanks all !!

Anonymous
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 00:14

We in Northern Ontario. In a unincorporated township. We wanted to start with a storage shed but that was against building code. A cabin had to be built first. The best place to ask about building codes is you town hall since building codes are different in each county,township etc..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.