Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Lumber harvest?
mcdmar80
# Posted: 19 Nov 2011 19:09

Hi all, new to the site and I am hooked to it.
My question is about lumber, I have a 5 acre lot in northern Wi. I am having trouble on where to begin to locate a company to "select cut" trees and thin my jungle. just only an acre or acre and a half to start my cabin project. located in taylor co. wi. If anyone can steer me in the rite direction it would be great... Thanks.

Martian
# Posted: 20 Nov 2011 07:18

I can't give you a name, but you are going to be looking for an individual who cuts trees for a local sawmill. If you find a sawmill operator fairly close, they will steer you to a logger who can harvest your trees. You might be able to get a lead on one at the local lumber yard. Good luck.

Tom

mcdmar80
# Posted: 20 Nov 2011 10:44

Thanks Tom,
I was thinking of heading up in a couple of weeks. I will start there with the lumber yards . There is also a small supper club down the road where the local farmers gather, I may ask around there as well. Need some bobcat work too for a driveway , parking area . I hope I don't become a pest to them . Ha

Thanks
Danny

Martian
# Posted: 20 Nov 2011 10:58

Danny, as long as you are spending money with them, you won't be a pest!

Tom

deleted
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 11:00

economy withthe obama change, no new construction equals no new house equals cheap, cheap lumber prices which equals loggers cant make money.
Loggers are only interested in large , large tracks. It may cost them 1200 bucks to haul all there logging equipment in, and only harvest one small 400.00 load of logs. Your best bet is find guy with small portable saw mill and give them logs to come get them.
Or hire a tree service at 100 bucks per hr.
Maybe consider getting cheap 4k norwood sawmill and cut trees yourself, get free lumber, and sell the rest to pay for sawmill.
If you have any exotic wood like curly maple or walnut even a short log is worth 350.00 each. 12 logs would pay for sawmill.
Also if you quart saw the lumber it brings 3 times the price.

adakseabee
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 20:01

Probably the best option for you and mentioned by an earlier post is to look at these websites for portable sawmills. If you contact the companies, they may be able to put you in touch with one of their customers who bought one of their mills and may be local to you. These portable mills are pretty good and those who own them would probably be more than delighted to cut logs into lumber for you.
http://www.timberking.com/index.cfm
http://www.woodmizer.com/us/Home.aspx
Good luck

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.