Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / How long is your driveway cabin builder? [clearing driveway]
jamez
# Posted: 21 Mar 2009 21:45

Hey there nice site, very inspiring. I'm in Newmarket Ontario and have been thinking about buying a small property somewhere in Ontario to build a small cabin. I don't want to spend much money though. I'm curious you mentioned you had quotes for your land clearing of $800 to $2500 what size area were those estimates based on? Also how did you go about clearing the land yourself? Could you explain a little more for me please.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 22 Mar 2009 15:30 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

The driveway clearing estimates were based on my verbal explanations to the contractor over the phone - nothing firm, but I got the idea.
It was for 100 ft driveway (actually my driveway turned out to be at least twice longer).
Other variables where number of large trees to cut and what to do with them, what to do with un-earthed stones, and whether I need to put gravel top (I didn't).

I've been told that some contractors in the area could do it for free (or at a discount) if you have a lots of good timber they could cut and take. I assume this is true in the areas with active forest industry, so those guys have equipment, place to sell the wood, etc.

I didn't have that many large trees to sell, and didn't want to cut them anyway.
So I cleared driveway and space for the cabin myself - as I mentioned, by 'navigating' the driveway between large trees and minimizing large tree cuts.

The hardest part was cutting those few large trees - I was a novice with the chainsaw then... ;-)
Afterwards some soil leveling with shovel.

I took some time (more than I estimated), but I didn't mind working outdoors at my own pace.

jamez
# Posted: 23 Mar 2009 11:18

How did you go about getting the stumps out of the ground? Any chance to get a picture of your driveway area to get a better idea? Also do you worry about the security of your cabin when you're not there? Ever have any issues with theft, trespassing etc? Sorry for the heap of questions. Thanks for the info.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 23 Mar 2009 11:56 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

First I cut the tree at ~3ft height - that leaves me with manageable stump to work with. Then I cut the stump at the soil level, leaving roots under ground. This was the hardest part - I went through couple chainsaw chains because the chain was in contact with soil/sand and get worn pretty quickly.
I'll see if I can make and post some driveway pictures later.

I didn't have any security issues... But you never know. It is always an issue.
Check out this cabin security discussion.

Anonymous
# Posted: 8 Dec 2010 13:46

Did you need some kind of a permit to clear the driveway?

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 8 Dec 2010 17:45

Quoting: Anonymous
Did you need some kind of a permit to clear the driveway?

No

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.