Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Glacier NP Area Q's
BadgersHollow
# Posted: 18 Feb 2012 23:58

I'm looking at a potential move to the Columbia Falls/Kalispell area. I know that Kalispell had unrealistically high real estate prices. Can anyone recommend any areas around there where cabin property is more economic? I've seen land by a place called Polebridge.

Malamute
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 00:16

Trego, Eureka, and Olney (sp?).

Very thick woods, if you like that sort of thing. It didnt appeal to me, it was more like jungle than woods, and not easy to even walk through.

Montanagirl
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 16:16

Land prices have come down here. But, Montana does not have a sales tax so our property taxes can be tough particularly if you are on a lake. Many folks who thought they'd retire to their cabin on the lake are forced to sell as they can't afford the property taxes. So be sure to research what the taxes will be. I agree with Malamute, try Trego, Eureka, Olney, Stryker. Attached are some pictures from our last wheelin' trip up the lookout there.
marston.JPG
marston.JPG
CIMG2524.JPG
CIMG2524.JPG

Montanagirl
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 16:35

P.S. Coram, and Hungry Horse are also beautiful.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 23:54

Is there decent ATV riding around there too Montanagirl?

Montanagirl
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 08:33

Glad you asked! We have suffered from a lot of trail closures here in NW Montana. However, we have a great OHV Trail (Blacktail/Wild Bill trail) which was actually named a BF Goodrich Outstanding Trail a few years ago. The Big Sky 4 Wheelers maintain the trail which sees a lot of ATV traffic. The forest service is now in the comment period to add another 50 miles to our trail system (as well as 14 miles of non-motorized).

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 09:59

I'm reading that the blacktail/bill trail is 23 miles long, so adding 50 would be good. That is the only downside about moving away from my little parcel in S Oregon. I can drive in any direction from camp for scores of miles. The riding is not really technical, just old logging roads mostly. Still lots of fun and easy on restrictions around here.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 10:01

It looks like the east side of the park, like around a little town called Babb, has great views and some reasonable priced land.

Montanagirl
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 10:53

I believe Babb is on the Indian reservation. IMO you get more sunshine on the east side (Continental Divide) but it can be really windy.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.