Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Newbie question about property lines
greenacarina
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 23:37

So, as my deal gets closer to being done on my little piece of property...I am wondering what I will encounter with finding my property lines. It is sandwiched between 2 other lots, all trees and overgrowth, and only measures about 4100 sq feet. I have looked at it on Google Maps and marked the corners as carefully as I can...so I think that will get me close (using GPS coordinates). Once the land is officially mine, I plan to drive there and see if I can find some kind of stakes or markers at the corners. The skeptical part of my brain tells me that I will find nothing and have to figure out a "plan b" solution. Being completely green at this, my only other thought is to hire a surveyor...but being the hardcore diy'er, I am hoping for a solution I can implement myself. Hoping the many voices of experience here can enlighten me!

Thanks!
Chris

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 00:55 - Edited by: MtnDon

How long ago was the survey? Ours was recent (one of the details we insisted upon prior to closing) and the steel pins in the ground easy to find with their bright yellow plastic caps. If its an older survey...

Do you have a copy of the official plat? That could be more accurate than taking readings off a map.

Do you have a metal detector? They can help find survey pins that are covered by debris, etc.

If you can find any one pin then the others should not be all that difficult to locate with such a relatively small size. 4100 sq ft is not all that large.

greenacarina
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 01:03

No idea on the survey...I am thinking the courthouse would have that info??? (plat map, etc...)

Metal detector-Yes!! In reading some of the posts here, I figured on taking my detector with me and trying to locate the markers.

I checked the county website hoping to find some more detailed info, but no luck. Probably will be more successful visiting the county courthouse and looking at paper or microfiche.

greenacarina
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 01:05 - Edited by: greenacarina

(duplicate post. sorry!)

TomChum
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 01:58

What county?
Do you know the parcel#?

greenacarina
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 02:19 - Edited by: greenacarina

Grays Harbor county (Washington state). Parcel # ?????

VC_fan
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 08:43

We bought 120 acres from an owner that I knew didn't know exactly where the corners were. It just hadn't made any difference; the neighbors all had some general idea and that had been good enough. I hired a local surveyor who came out and found some pins and oriented me as to what was where along the road. He only charged $200 which I thought was very reasonable. The education was worth a lot more than that, and I ended up hiring him to do some other survey work after this small initial job. Since he didn't have to do any paperwork, nothing had to be accurate to within 1/16" of an inch, etc it wasn't a big deal for him but it would have been a huge deal for me. So my suggestion is to take a shot at it with your metal detector and what you know now but there's a chance you'll be pleasantly surprised if you actually talk to a surveyor.

VC_fan
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 08:44

Oh, and I should have mentioned that we actually bought 112 acres but after it was surveyed it was 120 acres.

TomChum
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 11:07 - Edited by: TomChum

I got some estimates for a surveying last year. Got several estimates ranging from $3200 to $4500 to short-plat a city lot. This is for legal documents.

$200 sounds like a bargain, I'd be a little surprised if anyone else could get a deal like that. These days you can't even get someone out of bed for $200. Count your blessings,,,,,, in the city, plumbers bid at $1000/day, and these are 4 hour days!

Greenacarina, your parcel# does not come up as 'valid' parcel# on http://www.ghc-gis.org/geodata/viewer.htm . It could be because the county website is malfunctioning at the moment, but you can try it yourself. Look for parcel# "search". Also you might go back and 'edit' your post, to DELETE the parcel# from the internet.
grays harbor GIS example, with aerial photo layer and parcel lines layers turned on.
grays harbor GIS example, with aerial photo layer and parcel lines layers turned on.

greenacarina
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 20:53

Oops!! Maybe it was late at night, or I just have fat fingers. Should have been 75 at the beginning and not 57. I edited it out of my previous post as well.
Here is the correct stuff-
http://www.ghc-gis.org/geodata/viewer.htm?Query=Parcelatt='752000300200'&QueryZoom=Ye s

greenacarina
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 20:55

Quoting: VC_fan
Oh, and I should have mentioned that we actually bought 112 acres but after it was surveyed it was 120 acres.

Nice!! I don't think my little parcel will end up to be 120 acres...but I will keep my fingers crossed. Ha ha!

PA_Bound
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 23:04 - Edited by: PA_Bound

The seller should be able to provide you with a copy of the property description from their deed. I think every deed requires one. Review that description closely. Besides bearing and distances, does it include any "calls" for specific landmarks? Things like "beginning in the center of a pile of rocks", or "closely following the center of a roadway", or "begining at an axel". These calls are often easier to locate than the survey pins.

If the seller won't provide this, you can get a copy of their deed from the local courthouse.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.