Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Missouri Ozarks
countryred
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 22:58

Hi Gang, Im a newbie here. Planning to put up a small simple cabin type building in a few years and wondering how many of you guys are from the Missouri Ozarks area and what you like best about it.

Rifraf
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 01:10 - Edited by: Rifraf

Well, my cabin is in the area. Not IN the ozarks , but close in southeast missouri.

I love the lakes, Branson, all the outdoor fun, lots of nature paths and centers around, ,many small towns, tons of antiquing to be had, ive been in the big city lifestyle , been there done that and now I like the less populated regions of the world... more grass less pavement please.

People just seem friendly in this part of Missouri. Perhaps ive been really lucky or not met the mean ones yet. I was at the local hardware store in the small town near my cabin and my total was like 11.48 or something.. I handed him nine bucks and didnt have any more cash, so i went for my plastic and he just smiled and told me not to worry about putting it on my card, and nine bucks was enough, and yes he did have the capability to run my card

Towns like Springfield, Branson, and the like offer most of the large city stuff if the mood does hit me, less than an hour away.

Sorry if you wanted more land related specifics, im not that knowledgeable about the geological benefits.. im far to simple for that

countryred
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 12:22

Thanks Rif, we are thinking about the Shannon or Crawford county areas. We spent a week honeymooning in that area and really love it. We actually found this site by looking up the 32 x 12 Derksen lofted cabin. Its on the top of our list and we really like your floor plan design.Thanks for the cool videos. We are from northeast mo. and like that south central area with all of its clear rivers and streams and small mountains.
The people down there have a very laid back easy to get along with style. We both like the canoe trips, fishing, hiking, and my wife is really into photography.
Still figuring out acreage, septic tank issues, and all that other stuff but its fun figuring it out and gives us a goal for the future.

Rifraf
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 13:46 - Edited by: Rifraf

Well, my wife and I have never had a large savings account. I guess we are your lower middle class in terms of usable income. Changing that with the cabin, and weve sold our high mortgage home.

However we did have to get a loan for our septic and well. Obviously I dont know what your financial state is but if finances are what you are trying to work out, and if you are interested in it you can email me and ill send you the number of the local loan agency we used down there. They loan very leniently and specifically seem to have a soft spot for local residents looking for well and septic funds.

The derskens are nice, I have spoke with the owner / engineer who designs their builds and he told me soon they are changing the build method to include 8 inch eves , this will make creating ridge vent systems easier BUT may also mean your interior will shrink, they have to obey traffic laws that only permit certain widths for delivery.. so adding 6 inches on each side for eves will remove 1 foot of interior space. Keep in mind when making your floorplan that this is already the case for the smaller eves and you only have 10ft 11 inches of interior wall to wall width.

Edit : I can also send you my floorplan scale prints if you are interested.

countryred
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 19:12

We will be making the move when we sell our paid off house and the kiddo graduates. Hoping to have enough for the land, building and improvements with about 1/2 of it and save the other 1/2. That's if everything works out. Planing to go with a water cistern instead of a well, but septic sizes and costs are the wildcard. Thinking about using a grey water filter basin , if legal, to save on septic tank and field sizing and price.

The floor plan print would be great, thanks.

justme
# Posted: 20 Feb 2015 11:48

countryred
You still around we just got started on a 12x28 and a 12x32 derksen
Outside of caulfield mo on the west plains side

countryred
# Posted: 21 Feb 2015 09:34

Not far from our place then , we are between Mountain View and Summersville.
We have an 8 x16 small shed cabin but plan to build a 32 x 20 cabin on a slab later.

justme
# Posted: 21 Feb 2015 18:21

Real close we are in willow springs now

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.