Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / living year round in recreational property?
dave555
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 13:50

I'm thinking of buy a recreational property, 3 season and upgrading it to 4 season.
There area has mixed residential and rec properties, will the local municipality make me leave or pay higher taxes?

dave555
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 13:51

i meant to say i would be living there year round.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 16:26

I'm not sure about all the possible scenarios here... but one concern that comes to mind was how the property was permitted when it was built. I have a "recreational use affidavit" permit on my cabin in PA. While allowing me to build without having to abide by the UCC codes, it also modifys my deed with certain restrictions. One of those restrictions indicates that the cabin "will not be used as a domicile or residence ... for any period of time". While this itself may not physically prevent me from statying there for extended periods, other restrictions on the deed prevent the property from receiving mail delivery or using it as a mailing address. And, by the way, all these restrictions transfer to any future buyer.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 16:28

Oh... and the only way to remove these restrictions is to upgrade the cabin to meet the then-current code. In my case... that'll mean tearing it down and starting over. As I never plan to live there... that suits me just fine.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.