Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Planning for the future
ialex2005i
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 03:14

I've been all over this forum, and I've learned a lot already. Many of you have great little cabins and hopefully I will too one day.

I'm currently in the Air Force, stationed in Hawaii for the next 4 years. I've served for 7 years, which means retirement is potentially 13 years away. Realistically it is probably closer to 15-17 years off because I would prefer that my daughter be moved out and at college before I retire.

With my 4 years here in Hawaii I plan to save. I think I could probably save around $40-50k. I would really like to buy a chunk of land for retirement. I would prefer 10+ acres. I would build my cabin on the land just before I retire. That brings me to my reasons for making this post.

I'm hoping that with your knowledge I can make a good decision on where I should end up. I have no problem with any state except for maybe Florida, that's only because I lived there for 18 years and I'm over it. I've looked at Tennessee and even Massachusetts.

Here are my list of wants: I want all 4 seasons. I want my property to be accessible all 4 seasons. I want electricity and water. I want to have a septic system. I want to be within an hour or two drive from a major airport.

I like that Tennessee is very green, I like that the landscape has character. By that I mean it's not just flat. Most properties have large hills/small mountains.

I like that Massachusetts is up north. I like that it has mountains also and that it definitely has all 4 seasons. I do worry that the winter could be harsh.

I'm just curious where you guys/gals think a good place may be and if buying now (4 years) is smart. My wife has reservations because she's worried that we buy this property and let it sit for 10-15 years, then we decide we don't want to retire there. It's a valid point, but my argument is that we are planning for retirement and this property will be the plan.

VTweekender
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 04:18

First off welcome to the forum and thank you for your service to our country.

Here are a few thoughts for you. I live in far western Massachusetts, a few miles from where MA, NY and VT meet. It is beautiful country here and the winters aren't as bad as you might think, occasionally a tough Jan and Feb, but if your retired you aren't much worried about getting out and have to get to work, but the roads are kept fairly well here as they are prepared at all times.

What you describe as what you desire, you are really describing a building lot, and not remote property for a small cabin, which is fine but expect to pay more. there are many 10 plus acre lots around here that would be suitable for you but you wouldn't get away with something like a pier foundation, you would be required to put in a full cement foundation, that being said you could do that and just go with the minimum sq footage residence requirement, maybe 800-1000 sq feet. Albany, NY airport is an hour from here up I-90.

Far southern VT is also a great option for you as well, in the same proximity. Bennington County or surrounding. Beautiful mountains and scenic areas abound.

If you buy now,especially around here,your investment will only increase in value, you will definately pay more 15 yrs from now.
Be sure there is a current perc test for septic when looking, water by drilled well is no problem around here.

sparky1
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 08:32

Good Morning & thank You for your service;
I live in southern Va.Not to harsh winters,Lots of History,& Many Great Colleges, Personally Love the Shenandoah Valley around Harrisonburg area I.81 goes N. up the valley lots of shopping if needed,Wonderful Scenery, I.64 just south going E/W.
I wish you & your Family the very best.
sparky1.in s.va.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 09:39

Buy now while it is low and if in 15 yrs you decide to live somewhere else you can sell for a profit and buy another....
Buy low sell high! You could buy pretty much anywhere in Wisconsin and be within 2 hrs of a major airport....here you can be secluded and still only 15 minutes to a grocery store or home improvment store.....Buy land zoned agriculture and enjoy low taxes or put the land into a 5, 10 or 15 yr conservancy to enjoy the state paying you to leave it alone!I know people that have 7, 10, or 20 acres of land and only pay $27/yr in taxes!!

AYP1909
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 10:18

My wife and I have lived on the "coast" of Washington State for all of our lives. There are too many people, too much traffic, and the weather can be dreary for 9 months at a time. We looked at many properties for several years until we decided on the sunny Okanogan area of northeastern Washington. There are 4 definite seasons, 300 days of sunshine each year, sparse populations, and wide open spaces. The proximity of a major airport may be a deal killer for you since Spokane and Wenatchee are both about 3 hours away. The plus side is that we will be in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, locally called The Highlands, with about 15 inches of annual precipitation, temperature ranges of -10°F-90°F, and miles of national forest. Our property accesses directly onto a gravel county road that is better maintained than some Seattle streets. I agree with Sustainusfarm that you should buy now.
Best wishes for your property search.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 10:51

The USA is blessed with so many different climates and geography that it makes your questoins difficult to answer. There are things to keep in mind where ever you look:

- on going costs: taxes, cost of living, driving distance, energy
- location: close to friends/family, close to hospital, church, stores
- Taxes: gets it own nowadays - we had a lake front property that was $2500 in taxes with no structure. It started out as $1000 10 years ago.
- what you want to do: ski, water, birding, relax, hike, fish, hunt, garden
- what your guests will want to do: " "

There are a few good books out there about thinking through land and cabin design. They basically have you figure out how you'll use the place (activities) and how close you want to be to things (location) and what times of year you want to be active (climate).

There are so many great places, but your money has to last. You and your family has to be happy there. Like it was said above. Look now, you will be surprised how cheap land/lots are right now.

ialex2005i
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 15:26

VTweekender,

Thanks so much for the info on Massachusetts. It's great to hear from someone first hand. There are a couple properties I looked at there. One in Phillipston and one closer to you in Heath. The one in Heath is 30 acres for only $38k which is pretty hard to beat!

sparky1,
Virginia is an option I was looking at also. I like how centrally located it is to everything.

Sustainusfarm,
I have yet to look at Wisconsin. I definitely will now. That conservancy thing is pretty neat considering I don't plan to use the land for 10-15 years. If I could get away with not paying property taxes and maybe even have the state pay me, then there really would be no money loss incurred for letting it sit vacant.

AYP1909,
Washington would be amazing. I actually did some research on property near Republic, WA, which may be near you? I do fear the winters may be too harsh.

TheCabinCalls,
Thanks for all the great info. Proximity to a hospital is very important, especially a VA hospital. Taxes are another important thing I will take into consideration, especially since I won't actually be using the land for quite some time.

VTweekender
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 15:45

Quoting: ialex2005i
Heath is 30 acres for only $38k which is pretty hard to beat!

Heath is absolutely great for quiet hilltown life....can't beat that price if its perced...

countryred
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 21:33

1st,...Thank You for serving our country!

I would make sure the area has plenty of hobbies and things you enjoy. Fishing, hunting, skiing, etc..

My pick is the Missouri Ozarks. You can drive 2 hours southwest of St Louis along I 44. Towns like Steeleville, Land is somewhat cheap and has plenty of hills and hollers. Eminence is another place to consider.

It sounds like you have a great plan!

ialex2005i
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 00:36

Countryred,
Thank you for the reply. I haven't looked in Missouri yet, I'll check it out!

countryred
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 11:24

Here 's some ideas on what it has to offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV3NGVLrwRI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meramec_River

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozark_Mountains

ialex2005i
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 12:46

Countryred,
Thanks again. I did look at some property in Missouri. I'm liking it a lot. I also like how Missouri itself is centrally located within the U.S.

Now if I can discipline myself to save the money needed, I'll be on my way to having my chunk of land.

countryred
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 19:36

Yep, saving up is the key,.We currently live in town but are making plans to a simpler life in a few years.
We both changed jobs, and now spend a lot less on gas, so we can kick butt on our debts and have our home paid for earlier and can bulk up our savings. About that same time, our daughter will moving off to college.

We plan to buy our acreage, 5 to 15,.. in 5 years, and move there in 10. Sell the house, buy a Derksen type cabin, or have 1 built, around 380 sq. foot. Put the rest of the house money in the bank as our emergency fund.
During the 5 years we have the land before the building we can camp there and start preparing the lot and clearing trees, as well as planting fruit trees for the future.
Nothing fancy, some power, about a 100 amp panel, a rain water collection system, and a big garden and a few chickens.
Both of us get part time jobs, and spend a lot of time together at the cabin.
It will be in the Missouri Ozarks somewhere, still checking out little towns and land. Ideally, 20 minutes from a grocery store and no more than 45 to a decent hospital.

Martian
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 20:14

I would suggest buying your land now and making payments if necessary. The value of land generally follows inflation. So, lock in your cost at today's prices and pay it off with tomorrow's money. You have a secure job; take advantage of that. You can visit the property during your leave periods and enjoy the making of plans, choosing the exact spot to build, and making the final decision of is this really the spot for you. Since you have at least 13 years before retirement, the value of the land may double or even triple. I know it has here in the middle-of-nowhere Kansas Flint Hills. Take this as a little fatherly advise from an old Marine.

Tom

ialex2005i
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 21:11

Countryred,
Sounds like a great plan and pretty much spot on what I would like to do. I've been attempting to discuss it more with my wife, but she is still having reservations. I deal with all our finances, so I understand exactly what's going on in that realm, while she just kind of goes with the flow. I understand that my dollar today is going to be worth more than my dollar tomorrow. I did pique her interest by suggesting that she could have a garden and we could use our own vegetables and such. Whatever works!

Martian,
Thanks for your service. I would love to buy something today and I have been seeing that most land properties have seller financing. It does interest me, however I would like to have a sizable down payment. I was thinking about saving, then possibly getting a property for twice the amount saved, put half down and make payments on the other half. Doing this would ultimately get me the property I want, but twice as much!

Martian
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 21:52

Run the numbers on how much a large down payment saves you each month as opposed to the minimum down. Remember, the idea is to pay it off with dollars that are worth less. Even at 3% inflation, in ten years, your money is worth 30% less. During that same period, I'd bet your pay will increase annually which makes the payment even easier to make. You can always pay it off early, but if land values double while you are saving, then you still only get what you could have originally purchased, but you're paying twice as much for it. Prices are down, and right now, money is cheap. You don't have the obstacle of job uncertainty many people have. Think about it. Would you rather have your money in a bank losing value, or in land?

Tom

neb
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 22:10

Glad to have you on the site a great place with great people. Also THANK YOU for the time you are serving my hat goes off to you.
Yep I would start looking now and buy a peice of ground while you are in th eservice. It will take sometime to find what you want. Good luck and keep us infromed.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.