Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / island cabins
tcmatt
# Posted: 21 Sep 2012 23:20

anyone out there build a cabin on an island?

Martian
# Posted: 22 Sep 2012 08:31

It wasn't mine, but I built a 1200sqft 'cabin' on an island off the northern Maine coast. Why?

If you are wondering about cost, it was very expensive! Of course, if you do your own work, boat in your own materials, forgo the water well, and eliminate the solar/battery system with diesel generator backup, it could be done a lot cheaper.

Tom

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Sep 2012 08:44

I've build about twenty on islands. We have a lot of them in MN. I get from $500 to a $1,000 more, and I don't do the boat work. That's just for the added time it takes. The customer boats lumber and I start to build as it comes across. On a couple of our bigger lake we have barge deliveries. A couple times I was able to just back the truck and trailers right onto the barge and unload by hand at the island. If we can, we cross on the winter's ice.

Owen
island_too.jpg
island_too.jpg

tcmatt
# Posted: 22 Sep 2012 10:07

I already built my cabin, i was just wondering if folks out there have built one on an island and willing to share photos

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Sep 2012 10:33

Ah the life, carpentry by day and fisherman at night.

Owen
Pelican lake
Pelican lake
Pelican lake
Pelican lake

neb
# Posted: 22 Sep 2012 11:23

OwenChristensen
Interesting on construction on islands. Couldn't beat the surrondings I bet.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Sep 2012 14:09

I built three on the same island last year. We stayed in a big tent, but after one cabin was done we used it. I have to admitt, I don't think I made min. wage.

BUT I caught more fish then any other summer.

Owen

neb
# Posted: 22 Sep 2012 14:12

Then it was worth it Owen. That experience not many can have and wish they could.

davestreck
# Posted: 22 Sep 2012 16:11

My wife and I are building our cabin on an uninhabited island off the eastern shore of Nova Scotia:

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_1314_0.html

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Sep 2012 18:08 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Dave that's quite a feat. Most of ours are on bed rock also, ya can't beat it.
A couple years ago I built one on a Canadian shore of Lake Superior south of Thunder Bay. I was able to have the costomer bring the lumber to the site and I came to help,wink, wink. I brought my 30' Chris-Craft to a little island 200' off shore and stayed in that. I went to work in my dingy. I made a couple trips to Isle Royale that month too. I've had a good life.

Owen

tcmatt
# Posted: 23 Sep 2012 07:45

thanks guys, these are great.

tcmatt
# Posted: 23 Sep 2012 07:46

So, Owen, are all these cabins that you build yours or yours and others?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 23 Sep 2012 08:43

I build for others, but I'm no less an enthusiast.

Anonymous
# Posted: 23 Sep 2012 21:05

Owen,

your pic says Pelican Lake. That's not the Pelican Lake by Orr MN is it?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 07:34

Yes, it is. I live in Duluth. Next week I build in Trego then Oct. 15 I'll be in Pine River. Fall rush.

Owen

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 11:35

Owen,

I will keep your info. We purchased 5 acres on the island in Saunders Bay. We are probably a year and a half away from being ready to start building.

LMT project
# Posted: 25 Jan 2015 18:53 - Edited by: LMT project

Wanted to send personal message, sorry

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.