Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / things to look for when checking out property..
<< . 1 . 2 .
Rossman
# Posted: 14 Jan 2014 10:04

Quoting: razmichael
That's exactly the argument used! Wonderful isn't it.

Well, when you consider you can end up on the sex offenders registry, for some arguably pretty minor shit, it probably is actually a good idea.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 14 Jan 2014 16:36

In Canada the sex offender registry is not made public which helps with compliance. There is close to a 98% compliance rating which is on of the highest in the world. The thought process is that the police would rather have a high compliance rating and know where the offenders are living so they can follow up with them. In Ontario, officers regularly do compliance checks and ensure that offenders are in compliance with their conditions. In places where the registries are public, offenders are often driven under ground because of public backlash/pressure, Once underground, they are no longer compliant and police have no idea where they are, making it impossible for police to conduct compliance checks. If the police and the public do not know where the offenders are, this can be far more scary and may make it easier for an offender to re-offend.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 14 Jan 2014 19:54

Well lets see....I want to know if a child molester or rapist is in my neighborhood. In the States you can find out what the offense was. If its public urination than I'm not going to be worried. With DNA being 99.99% accurate there are no innocent convicted sex offenders.

Rossman
# Posted: 14 Jan 2014 19:57

Quoting: silverwaterlady
I want to know if a child molester or rapist is in my neighborhood.

Odds are good that there is one of those, if not both, in almost any town in North America, given the actual rates of incidents (whether the person has been caught and put on a registry or not)

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 14 Jan 2014 20:05 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

True.

beachman
# Posted: 15 Jan 2014 18:17

The registry is a fine thing. The main problem is the ones that have not been caught yet or otherwise discovered. It is a shame that people cannot be taken at face value but there are a lot of messed up people out there just waiting to do something weird.

morock
# Posted: 20 Feb 2014 21:40

My biggest gotcha was the small cedar bridge at the entrance to our property. Very difficult to get any size of truck over, but worse, is it's a great place for beavers to make a dam. ......... every night!

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 30 Jun 2014 07:14

Here are more things to think of...

* Are there any restrictions on cutting trees? On my 30 acres, I can cut trees, but not for commercial purposes.

* Is any of the land cleared? If so, think about the cost of a tractor and a bush-hog. Then, where will you store the equipment?

* Gravel roads? If any of these are easements on other people's properties (or the road is the property line)... then ask what the arrangement is for maintaining the road.

* With respect to the survey, check to see if any of the property markers are in place. These are typically marked on a plat with IP which stands for Iron Pin or Iron Pipe. Use a metal detector and go find the pins. You might as well mark them with surveyor's tape if you find them. I marked both the pins, as well as put some tape around a nearby tree to make it easy to find in the future.

Leaf in the Wind
# Posted: 26 Jul 2014 09:03

The overwhelming theme here seems to be what you are allowed to do by the government. Permits, restrictions, regulations, codes, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.... It sounds like it is about time for people to tell the government to piss off, stay off my land and let me be. If I am not endangering anyone else, not abusing the environement or affecting anyone else's environement, Leave me along to do as I please. To bad people cant be the way they used to be and if there is a problem with what you do on your own land with a neighbor, they hash it out themselves. But in todays world no one talks to their neighbors anymore, they run straight to the lawyers or start pointing to the building codes enforcement. Anyway, sorry to rant. I just hate seeing someone being restricted to do as they please on their own land because of some stupid government regulation or code that only lines the pockets of the sleazy politicians or the .gov in some way.
Take care all.

sandlynx
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 11:17

Hi. First time on this forum. Wow, many great suggestions. I'm looking for land where I can downsize and live close to natural without massive restrictions on what I can do. I would love to live off the grid. In one area where I looked, they require that any building for living be 480 sq ft. I don't need a living space that large. I'm trying to downsize. I have no interest in McMansions nor trying to impress anyone including a code inspector which I have learned while living in a city, is a massive pain in the posterior. -- We had a steel roof put on our house. Next thing you know, there's a stranger standing in the middle of my vegetable garden looking over our house. (There are no trespassing signs posted.) I asked him, "Who are you?" "Oh, I'm the code inspector." $40,000 roof and this guy thinks he needs to "inspect" it. That's the kind of snoopiness I want to get away from. I know what sanitary living is. I don't need a constant nanny. What ever happened to "live and let live"? Anyhow, I'm so glad I found this forum. It will ease the process of getting out of this city of "armpit to armpit" living. Note I'm in Michigan so replies should be relevant to that area unless you suggest another state where "live and let live" is honored.

deryk
# Posted: 10 May 2015 23:52

The square feet rule, towns and counties can vary. In Morgan County WV where I have been doing some looking, a loft counts as square footage even if you can't stand in it.

I used to think 480 square feet is a lot but playing with graph paper and a pencil I could make a real nice 480sq2 home if the porches count lol

Kudzu
# Posted: 11 May 2015 20:04

Mineral rights, easements and Right-of-Way, and any other covenants that might be mentioned in the deed. GET A WARANTY DEED.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.