Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Small Cabin Friendly Building Departments in Northern California?
Ezra
# Posted: 15 Oct 2009 05:35 - Edited by: Ezra

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone suggest counties in Northern California that are relaxed when it comes to someone building a small rustic cabin on their property to live in?

The cabin will have electricity, propane, but be without running water or toilet.

The goal is to live in it while a small complete home is being built over time.

Thank You

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Jan 2010 00:50

If its going to be a cabin, then you probably will need to get a privvy permit too. They will issue you the permit to build as soon as they issue the privvy permit. In other words, they wont hold you up till you get the privvy done. IS there a well on the property? Then they will probably demand a full septic, even if there is no running water. You will need to obtain a mailing address (easy) and then do a site plan and submit your plans (in that order) then wait for approval. I did mine is a rural county, I had my address already, did the site plan and building dept took me 20 minutes and i was done. Then just wait for them to look over my plans and approve. Got a call in 2 weeks, done!

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Aug 2011 18:58

stay out of southern siskiyou county. the permit guy there is a nightmare. northern siskiyou is ok.

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Oct 2011 13:59

Any other suggestions? Maybe even central / southern ca? I'm trying to find property in California and maybe even Oregon to off grid homestead in a small cabin.... I need help on places tolook that have either easy to meet codes or none at all....

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 02:45

Anyone?

Freeholder
# Posted: 5 Nov 2011 15:13

I'll check on southern Oregon (Klamath County) for you in a few days. I'm checking for myself, really, as I want to do more or less the same thing in Klamath County (where I already live).

Kathleen

Anonymous
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 13:26

any one know what the penalties could be if you build w/o a permit? particularly remote siskiyou co. we've heard that it could be double the permit cost, or that they would shut off water and elect.--- but they dont supply either. any way to saferguard ourselves? like take pics of framing? what do you think?

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 13:56

There's no standard response. It could be anything from whatever size fine they have the authority to levy to demanding the structure be torn down or somehow removed. If they decide to let it stay and only fine you and have you pay the permit cost, they could also have you remove some siding or indoor wall skin so they can actually look at something. They could be very nit picking over the details. Lots of photographs could help or it could annoy them. They probably would have the authority to cut off electric and/or water if a stipulation of getting either is that you have a building permit. That is relatively common. Add in that CA has some of the most stringent building rules if the location is in a wildfire prone area and they could make lots of trouble for you. G/L

HJS_cabin
# Posted: 17 Mar 2019 14:32

Anyone have experience with Nevada County or nearby counties?

sha748
# Posted: 19 Mar 2019 00:41

You have to be very much off grid but I lived in my off grid cabin for a year without issue, but that is in southern California....my neighbor lives there full time since the 90's...it helps that we are 7 miles from electricity and only he and I lived on the mountain...recently a few people have gotten property and built stuff but still less then 4 people ,so not really on radar as an issue...of course as more people buy land and build I am sure at some point in future things will get strict...I love my cabin and being there, but I wasn't basing my life on having to live there forever so I dont know that I would expect to base my lively hood around being able to get away with it forever in many places....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.