Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / fire safety
flatwater
# Posted: 1 Dec 2009 20:44

when we bought our cabin the trees were thick and within five feet of the cabin. we decided to do a little trimming.
cabin after clearing
cabin after clearing
cutting out the dead
cutting out the dead

Jerry
# Posted: 3 Dec 2009 14:59

Flatwater - looks like you've got a beautiful spot there. And I agree with you about cutting trees from around your cabin. Many people don't want to do that because they want to live close to nature (and I understand that), but if you want to protect what you have from fire, it's the wise choice.

Jerry

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 3 Dec 2009 16:45

I'm also cutting some trees around the cabin to avoid trees eventually falling onto the cabin. After the wind storm, I've seen several times houses and cabins wrecked by the falling trees.

It could be tricky to do - you don't want the leaning tree to fall onto the cabin while you're cutting it... I cut the notch appropriately using the chainsaw, and use a strong rope.
Can anyone share techniques and tricks on cutting trees safely?

Jerry
# Posted: 3 Dec 2009 23:49

Recently I cut a dead birch that I thought was leaning toward the fire pit, and away from my cabin. At the last minute I thought I'd better move the truck just in case it fell in that direction, about 45 degrees from the fire pit. You guessed it - the way it fell it would have wiped out my truck! All's well that ends well.

Jerry

flatwater
# Posted: 4 Dec 2009 22:36

One can be very carfull but some times this happens. I would say , if in dought tie a rope

flatwater
# Posted: 4 Dec 2009 22:40

to many pixils again, I dropped on on the out house. normally I can drop almost any tree within a foot of where I want it to land. The one I dropped on the outhouse had a rotten spot I didn't see. Could have been the car , house or me.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.