Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / build a garage under permit...then whoops its a cabin?
iammyowntroublemaker
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 14:21

hello all

been reviewing the planning restrictions for our lot in prince edward county in ontario. I can build a garage (accessory building) with a gross floor area of 720sf, prior to permit for single detached dwelling. since there is a lot of farming/wine in the area, i think i could sell them on it, with a small bathroom on septic, and a washout sink. the same permit would allow the primary/secondary electricity to be run in and maybe have solar on the roof that ties back to the grid and makes $$$. then once the permit is closed off...oh no! what happened? some partition walls fell up and it became a weekend only cabin... darn! how did that happen? i was thinking with a nice roll up garage door that could cover the partitions and you have a nice enclosed/covered porch? the lot is quite wooded and away from the road and passers by, so once it's up and running, thought it would work well until budget allows for the rest of the cabin building. Anyone asks - it's a garage/workshop with a bathroom.

i would love to hear thoughts from others...especially ontario building code victims like us.

cheers

rayyy
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 16:11

Ohhh-Geez,,,don't cha hate when that happens?

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Feb 2013 08:49

Might work, depending on whether your neighbors turn you in and depending on how much the jurisdiction cares. If it is permitted as an accessory structure then it is not permitted to be used as a living unit, so, if you use it as a living unit they can kick you out. So you are taking a chance. I'd check with local builders and architects who have dealt with the jurisdiction and find out what their attitude toward this kind of thing is.

If you design it with a bathroom and a sink they will know what's going on. You can just tell them you want a temp use cabin but can't afford a full residence. See what they say. They may permit it otherwise to allow your use, which is better, since later you won't get kicked out. But, once you let them know your intentions, if they don't want to allow it, you just tipped them off.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 22 Feb 2013 11:22

Septic to me throws a red flag and in a lot of places would then bring attention and increase in taxes.

There are a lot of areas that you can build a nice "garage" with electric and plumbing rough in...and still have a porta-john.

Check to see if septic will be your enemy here.

doo-drew
# Posted: 24 Feb 2013 14:23

Lol... When i called the township for my plans the assistant to the building inspector told me to do the very same thing you are looking at doing. She then told me to wait 2 years and go to zoning and fill out an application to have the building reclassified as a dwelling. Then zoning just needs to Ok and no "you built this/that wrong" from three building department. I do think the septic may cause you some issues though.

iammyowntroublemaker
# Posted: 26 Feb 2013 15:37

thanks for all your input folks...

i will keep the septic issues in mind when i inquire.

has anyone ever done a 2-part septic? by 2 part i mean start the system with a tank/field for a smaller system, and then expand it later?

i would think that this is possible... the lot only allows for one septic system... but how do you size now for what you do not know what you will build in the future?

it's a sh*t business.

VTweekender
# Posted: 26 Feb 2013 15:57

Quoting: iammyowntroublemaker
has anyone ever done a 2-part septic? by 2 part i mean start the system with a tank/field for a smaller system, and then expand it later?

That would be a total waste of funds to do that....the septic size , I believe, is sized by number of bedrooms in the structure, I don't think you will be able todo a DIY septic anyhow, you will need an engineer and licensed installer to satisfy the town..

tsvoyager
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 13:58

around us, Northern Wi they all tell the county they are building a storage shed. 1/5 the taxes and you are storing stuff, bed's dressers, kitchen cabinets, wood stove, well you get the point

jg@jeffgreefwoo dworking.com
# Posted: 4 Mar 2013 08:21

VTweekender- It is possible to instal your own septic, at least here in Calif, and it is possible to make a smaller system now and expand later.

It's up to the local jurisdiction to decide if you need an engineer or a licensed contractor. When I installed mine here in CA they said I could do it myself, but i dont have a big backhoe and it's a lot of dirt.

The size of the system is determined by number of bedrooms. A 1200 gallon tank will handle up to 3, a 1500 up to 6 where I am.

The drainfield is sized by square foot per bedroom, depending on the perk rate of your soil. Slower perk, more square feet per bedroom.

You could instal a 1200 gallon tank with a 1 bedroom drainfield now, and then increase the size of the drainfield to 2 or 3 bedrooms later. Or, put in a 1500 gallon tank with a 1 or 2 bedroom drainfield now, then expand up to 6 later. One tank can dump into two or more drainfields so long as the effluent is equally divided to the drainfields.

A 1500 gallon tank costs only $200 more than a 1200, or less, and will require sludge pumping less frequently. You got to pump the solids out when it gets 2/3 full. It's expensive when you do that, and they dont charge by the amount of sludge, they charge by the visit, so in the long run you will save a lot of bucks with a larger tank.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.